Sculpting Tips - Q&A

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Re: Sculpting Tips - Q&A

Postby Bartholdy » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:47 am

Ah, great. Thanks a bunch!
Bartholdy

Postby General Apathy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:14 pm

Wire Armature questions:

Just starting. Searched but did not find answers to:

1. What size / gauge / type wire do you recommend? - I'm starting with 28mm basic humans
2. It is necessary to start really thin and build up layers of putty, or use thicker wire and fewer layers?
3. Bare metal wire or coated?
4. If metal, any preps like washing it, coating it, etc.?
5. Start with a complete figure, or start with torso pieces (do a bunch of legs until your sculpts of legs look right, arms, heads, etc.)?

I'll look back through for link recommendations. Just curious, is there a link collection page?
...all this from someone who is neither apathetic nor a general
General Apathy

Postby Inso » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 pm

I use 0.8mm brass or copper wire from Hobby Craft's jewelery section (it is bare, not covered).
I then build up layers of putty on the wire frame in layers. I have never washed the wire and the sculpt has always been castable after I have finished. I sculpt whole figures because it helps to get the proportions right.

Obviously, this is just my take on the subject and I am not a professional sculptor... so I am sure someone more qualified will chip in at some point :)
Have a look at my blog, it's really full of things: http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

Or, you could always learn about the world of Reptiliad: http://reptiliad.blogspot.co.uk/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/
Inso

Postby Internalclock » Fri May 06, 2016 1:25 pm

I have a reel of fine wire that I got from walmart in the craft section. Think it was for jewlery. Otherwise I just strip out any copper wire I can find and sort it by guage depending on the size of the sculpt. If you find the right stuff it has one thick copper core surrounded by 3-6 thinner copper Wires ... JACKPOT!
Internalclock

Postby Guest » Fri May 06, 2016 1:28 pm

Oh and I start with a copper wire armature stuck in a cork. then I'll bulk it out with tinfoil and superglue it. then I'll make a case around it in putty. then I'll start sculpting over it for reals.

Postby OrlandotheTechnicoloured » Fri May 06, 2016 5:25 pm

If you're planning to cut up your sculpt to cast your wire needs to be soft enough to cut easily (so no paperclips etc)

but other than that whatever feels comfortable
OrlandotheTechnicoloured

Postby CrumbReaper » Fri May 06, 2016 6:03 pm

Internalclock wrote:I have a reel of fine wire that I got from walmart in the craft section. Think it was for jewlery. Otherwise I just strip out any copper wire I can find and sort it by guage depending on the size of the sculpt. If you find the right stuff it has one thick copper core surrounded by 3-6 thinner copper Wires ... JACKPOT!

sounds like 3 core flat for lighting - mains rated would be too heavy gauge I suspect, trouble I have is patience to make the dollies, get the proportions right :(

I got some wire for flower arranging, looks good gauge wise but haven't tried using it.......... I might just be a slacker!!
CrumbReaper

Sculpting Tips Q

Postby Barryvow » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:54 am

Im looking for some recommended software for a newbie to try his hand at 3d sculpting.

I have a lot of qmechanical cad experience but never used the more artistic packages.

The only sw Ive heard of is z brush. Any good?
Barryvow

Postby host » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:53 am

zbruch is the industry standard.
3ds max as well, blender is also a very powerful package (and open source). rhino, just google and watch youtube video tutorials to make a decision.
host

Postby UncHex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:27 pm

There is a free version of zbrush called Sculptris. It's a bit like a cut down zbrush.
UncHex

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting Workshop