Sculpting Tips - Q&A

Tips and WIPs for those brave souls pushing green stuff around in their homes.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Sculpting Tips - Q&A

Postby AKULA » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Following Nigel's suggestion, I've started this thread for budding sculptors to stick their questions, and get them answered.

Can I suggest that we limit this thread to two types of posts:

1) Questions about sculpting
2) Answers from sculptors

For once, if we avoid the usual off-topic posts, one word "good" type answers, and pictures of boobs (as nice as they can be), then this thread might become a useful resource, and be worth a "sticky".

:wink:
AKULA
Associate Member

Postby AKULA » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Woodwose wrote:
Chris Elizardo wrote:
Voltan wrote:the detailing on the green stuff seems a bit soft but that's probably just the putty springing back as it cures.

It does that? so how do you prevent it? Just make the detailing deeper? I'm new to green stuff.

When its soft, it's slightly elastic. What I do is to leave it for 5 minutes before I work on it so that it stiffens very slightly, then about 15 minutes later I'll come back to it and touch up the detail again before it finally sets.
On things like the armour and sword I'd finish off by just paring back the edges with a scalpel to get it nice and sharp.
AKULA
Associate Member

Postby AKULA » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Woodwose wrote:I made myself a sculpting "oven" which helps a lot to speed things up. It's a foot squre wooden box with a 60 watt bulb in it and a turntable in the bottom which holds 8 figures. I basically have a production line of figures, doing a bit of work on each one in turn and by the time I've got round to the first one again, it's ready for the next stage of sculpting.

Chris Elizardo wrote:I heard someone else mention a coffee can oven, now I know why they are needed.
AKULA
Associate Member

Postby Chris Elizardo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:26 pm

Do any of you pro sculptors use polymers instead of epoxies? If so any issues with the molding and casting process like mold distortion due to collapsing or cracking originals?
Thanks!!
Chris Elizardo
Sculptor
www.sculptorforhire.com
Chris Elizardo

Postby Chris Elizardo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:28 pm

I know your probably busy but if any of you guys could post pics of your ovens and tools it would be greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks!!
Chris Elizardo
Sculptor
www.sculptorforhire.com
Chris Elizardo

Postby Villageidiot NLI » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:34 pm

http://www.musketeer-miniatures.com/blog/?page_id=6

This may be useful for any budding sculptors :wink:
Villageidiot NLI

Postby DesHanley » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:34 pm

You might find these useful.
Full of interesting info for sculptors (pick out what you want - not my tips btw)

(direct link to PDF's)

www.xencade.com/reference/DWsculpting-class.pdf (Drew Williams)
http://storage.canalblog.com/33/13/553666/36114854.pdf (Ramon Laan)
DesHanley

Postby Chris Elizardo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, I for one will get a bunch out of it.

Another area I'm having problems with is photography. I can't seem to get a good picture inthis scale. what type of cameras do the pros use?

Thanks in advance!
Thanks!!
Chris Elizardo
Sculptor
www.sculptorforhire.com
Chris Elizardo

Postby AKULA » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Chris Elizardo wrote: Another area I'm having problems with is photography. I can't seem to get a good picture inthis scale. what type of cameras do the pros use?

Thanks in advance!

I've reposted this on the Painting board, as it seems to come up more often on there :wink:

http://frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... 353#740353
AKULA
Associate Member

Postby Jeremy Wright » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Great idea! Thank you Akula. :D

I'm having a couple problems.

The first is making weapons. Even simple axes are proving to take a long time to get only decent. I usually begin with a piece of wire that I give a very thin coat of clay to, so the rest sticks. Then I have tried everything I can think of to make the blade or axe head. I just can't get it to look clean and smooth. If I place the clay on the wire and try to shape it as it dries it never looks smooth enough, or with hard enough edge. If I roll out a nice smooth flat piece and try to carve the shape and edges with a knife, I can't get the angles consistent.

The second problem I've been having is finding a tool to make very short, fine lines such as you would need for an eye. I'm considering cutting down a razor to only a millimeter or two long on the edge. Is there any better options? Or perhaps a technique with what I have that would work?

I sculpt 90% of everything with 2 sizes of dental tools if that helps. The rest is my fingers and an exacto knife.

Thanks again, and thanks in advance for any advice.
Jeremy Wright

Next

Return to Sculpting Workshop