Legend of Cleopatra Miniatures on Indiegogo

Your thoughts on the (small) world of little lead miniatures.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Re: Legend of Cleopatra Miniatures on Indiegogo

Postby Condottiero » Thu May 18, 2017 6:13 am

Why are most of the figures barefooted? All but the poor would've walked around in sandals...

I know this is fantasy, but by the time of Cleopatra, women and men would've covered up, with Hellenistic clothing en vogue.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby The Masked Frother » Thu May 25, 2017 1:30 am

Annie wrote:I don't get it, they are Brother Vinni miniatures in there? As in, exactly the same figures in his webstore? Unless he does a licensing type thing.

Vinni is the sculptor. He sells resin versions, DF sells them in metal.

I have all of the figures from the past campaigns. Those add-ons are indeed from past campaigns. An opportunity to pick up sone if you missed them. :-)

The Senet players set from a previous campaign is superb! I am really looking forward to this new set of gamers. I use the seated figures in palanquins as well. :-)

Howard
The Masked Frother

Postby The Masked Frother » Thu May 25, 2017 1:40 am

Complain to the painter, I guess.

The actual bare metal is much nicer in many cases.

I've actually noticed this with some of Dark Swords figures, painted by highly skilled painters but I just don't like the effect.

I have both the Column of Woe and the Dejah Thoris figure and both are nice sets. Vinni did the former, while David Soderquist did the latter.

Why isn't anybody raving about the Mythological creatures or those splendid Caracals?

Australian Dawn wrote:That's a mixed bag, isn't it? Some of those women are enough to give you nightmares! :scared:

There's some nice stuff there, that not-Thulsa Doom is great.
But some of it... :?

It seems to vary from the very good, to "what the hell are they thinking trying to sell that piece of crap?"

Look at the mummy kidnaping the girl and then look at the monster beside them! :sick:
What a contrast in quality!

I had to look twice to make sure the Column of Woe wasn't a flat, WTF is going on there? :?

After seeing the stomach muscles on some of those cadavers women I had to look up Jaffa belly pouches to make sure they weren't supposed to be not-stargate minis, but no, those belly slits are diagonal, the figs are just shit.

That crap is going to turn people off from getting the good minis, which is a shame.
Last edited by The Masked Frother on Thu May 25, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Masked Frother

Postby The Masked Frother » Thu May 25, 2017 1:43 am

I suspect the OP has better credentials than yourself in making that sort of design choice. Actual credentials I mean! :-P

Man, I've been away from Frothers for months but still the same old shit. :roll:

Condottiero wrote:Why are most of the figures barefooted? All but the poor would've walked around in sandals...

I know this is fantasy, but by the time of Cleopatra, women and men would've covered up, with Hellenistic clothing en vogue.
The Masked Frother

Postby Australian Dawn » Thu May 25, 2017 3:02 am

The Masked Frother wrote:Complain to the painter, I guess.

The actual bare metal is much nicer in many cases.

Complain? If you're right he should be shot!
Why did they use these pictures in the marketing if the paintjobs are so awful? :?
The thing is, when I look at that lot I wonder what flaws in the apparently good figs are being hidden by good paintjobs, not if bad paintjobs are making good figs look shit.
Why would a seller use such pics? :?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Mr Ed » Thu May 25, 2017 6:03 pm

They're deliberately Hollywood cleopatra with added tits aren't they. I think if Liz Taylor had gone down this root the requests for Period appropriate Hellenistic dress would have been few and far between.

Most of these look like the design brief was a description made by a 14 year old boy over the phone to a sculptor who'd never seen a woman before.
Confusius he say 'War not sort out who right, war sort out who left...'
Mr Ed

Postby Condottiero » Fri May 26, 2017 5:38 am

The Masked Frother wrote:
Condottiero wrote:Why are most of the figures barefooted? All but the poor would've walked around in sandals...

I suspect the OP has better credentials than yourself in making that sort of design choice. Actual credentials I mean! :-P

Man, I've been away from Frothers for months but still the same old shit. :roll:

Actual credentials, like $cientologists...

I'm comfortable with these being fantasy and it's not that difficult to add footwear, but lets not be in denial...

It's bad enough there are some dodgy Ospreys, like the ones on Chinese Armies, that sculptors replicate faithfully...
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Condottiero » Fri May 26, 2017 5:48 am

Mr Ed wrote:They're deliberately Hollywood cleopatra with added tits aren't they. I think if Liz Taylor had gone down this root the requests for Period appropriate Hellenistic dress would have been few and far between.

Most of these look like the design brief was a description made by a 14 year old boy over the phone to a sculptor who'd never seen a woman before.

There's one scene she struts in high heels and a few of the dresses, but I could overlook it, as it's my favorite movie and hoping for the day the lost cutting room scenes could be found. Had she had insisted on going tits out, it wouldn't fly past the censors - back then an exposed bellybutton was considered risqué in sword and sandal flicks and a reason for Biblical films...
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Previous

Return to Colonel Marbles' Mess Hall