That's Too Big To Be A Mouse

Your thoughts on the (small) world of little lead miniatures.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Re: That's Too Big To Be A Mouse

Postby andrewbeasley » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Looks ace on the table!

How do you stop it rolling around?

Did you think about adding a few spots of colour to represent lights and help break up the grey / brown a bit? Not sure it would add anything and it may be my modellers OCD kicking in here :-)
andrewbeasley

Re: That's Too Big To Be A Mouse

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:34 pm

The base has a flat section - it's actually an ice cube holder.

When I bought it (before I opened the box) I thought I may drill lots of minute holes in it and then rig it up with a small torch bulb inside so it lit up the holes (modellers, eh?).
But when I opened it I saw that it was made from rubber, so that was no longer an option since I would have to find some way of making it rigid (hence filling it with expanding foam).
I did think of painting small yellow dots, but I canned the idea since I'd have to do shit loads to get the idea across and I thought that 1/ I'd get very fed up with doing so many and the standard would therefore slip and...2/I doubted I could do them small and sharp enough.
So I did a Google image search to see if there was a way of painting it so it wasn't just a slab of grey. I saw other models that some had done and they'd done some panels in a different, browner shade. But when I looked a pictures of the actual cinematic model it was...just grey.
So I decided I'd leave it just grey. And I thought I'd rationalise that at that viewing scale/range any lights would be so small that you wouldn't be able to see them. On a bigger model (this one is about 12cm diameter) then you may be able to see lights, but this one is too small for that.
An Absent Humphrey

Previous

Return to Colonel Marbles' Mess Hall