Another home 3D printer "Cubify"

Your thoughts on the (small) world of little lead miniatures.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Postby YAAF » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:59 am

It will be a while before they are good enough for figures but I can see scenic items and game tokens being made this way soon. Scenic bases/base inserts would probably be easy enough.

Of course in 5 years time we'll all have our own Star Trek TNG replicators and the whole industry will collapse. :shock:
I'd recognise that sound anywhere! That's the sound of a hundred heads deflating.
YAAF

Postby Colonel Kane » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Andrew Rae wrote:
John Bear Ross wrote:Kinda doubt it. Digital is just a medium, just like putty, just like marble. A sculptor is a sculptor.

Damn right!

Yeah, but you can't currently download scanned-in, pirated versions of you guys' miniatures from Pirate Bay and print them off on your desktop 3d printer at home. When you can, there'll be a problem, but I think that's a very long way away indeed.

That said, the way forward might be for people like you guys to sell digital files of your miniatures (which can still have been made in greenstuff, then scanned in) while maintaining a premium model for physical sales, which means white metal (sorry Red!). If you go into your local book shop you'll see that the newer releases of hard copy books are increasingly high-end, premium quality print stock that make ideal gifts - objects you value and want to own. If this is the way the book industry is going it might be worth the miniatures industry looking at a similar model in a decade or so's time.
"Not-Made-From-Meat-Made-From-Zoats-Instead-Ibix"
Colonel Kane

Postby Pablo Spandangle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:04 pm

Colonel Kane wrote:
Andrew Rae wrote:
John Bear Ross wrote:Kinda doubt it. Digital is just a medium, just like putty, just like marble. A sculptor is a sculptor.

Damn right!

Yeah, but you can't currently download scanned-in, pirated versions of you guys' miniatures from Pirate Bay and print them off on your desktop 3d printer at home. When you can, there'll be a problem, but I think that's a very long way away indeed.

That said, the way forward might be for people like you guys to sell digital files of your miniatures (which can still have been made in greenstuff, then scanned in) while maintaining a premium model for physical sales, which means white metal (sorry Red!). If you go into your local book shop you'll see that the newer releases of hard copy books are increasingly high-end, premium quality print stock that make ideal gifts - objects you value and want to own. If this is the way the book industry is going it might be worth the miniatures industry looking at a similar model in a decade or so's time.

Oh yeah it'll definitely change things. I was just getting my agreement in before someone rolls up with the old '3d modelling isn't sculpting mew mew mew' bullshit.

Having just paid a huge amount of money (for me) for prints with master and production costs still to come, I kinda like the idea of just selling files! :lol:
Pablo Spandangle

Postby YAAF » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Andrew Rae wrote:Yeah, but you can't currently download scanned-in, pirated versions of you guys' miniatures from Pirate Bay and print them off on your desktop 3d printer at home. When you can, there'll be a problem, but I think that's a very long way away indeed.

Maybe not as far as you think.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... d-printing
I'd recognise that sound anywhere! That's the sound of a hundred heads deflating.
YAAF

Better one for minis

Postby Crusoe the Painter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:52 pm

This one prints at high enough resolutions, but is currently dealing with a lawsuit too.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/07/despit ... s-to-hire/

3D systems, which makes the Cubify, is suing Form1.
3d-miniatures.com
Crusoe the Painter

Postby Crusoe the Painter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Should say the Form1 will retail for about $3300.
3d-miniatures.com
Crusoe the Painter

Re: Another home 3D printer "Cubify"

Postby smithnovel » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:53 am

I also have been thinking about this even with a cheaper price. You can get the idea about 10 weird 3d printered objects from here.
smithnovel

Previous

Return to Colonel Marbles' Mess Hall