Crowdfunding Projects

Your thoughts on the (small) world of little lead miniatures.

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Re: Crowdfunding Projects

Postby Lovejoy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:10 am

Tre Manor wrote:i surely cannot be the only person who sees that " timing " becoming a bigger issue than quality, price, or content or market is a SERIOUSLY bad problem.

It has been bothering me a long time but lately MUCH more so than usual.

I'm not sure it is a problem, really... I mean, it's Christmas time, therefore technically a bad time to run a KS, yet Kingdom Death is pulling over 7 million. Also, because Kingdom Death is pulling over 7 million, it's technically a bad time for anyone else to run... yet Wyrd hit their $75k goal in 30 minutes.
Even small companies like Willy Miniatures and Kraken are running successful projects right now.

So, I really think the timing is a lot less important than you might think. At least, I hope so - we're launching a little project on the 26th! :wink:
User avatar
Lovejoy
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: County Durham

Re: Crowdfunding Projects

Postby andrewbeasley » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:43 pm

Tre Manor wrote:i surely cannot be the only person who sees that " timing " becoming a bigger issue than quality, price, or content or market is a SERIOUSLY bad problem.

It has been bothering me a long time but lately MUCH more so than usual.


It's not so much the timing as per the time of year but the fact that there are do so many new things coming out and being a tin butterfly it gets hard not to support at even the lower levels. Add to the fact that some are not due to deliver for 6+ months I find more and more I just press the return button and move on.

One other thing that bugs me over most figure releases are the pre-set packs - most times they have figures that I would not buy (both design or role) and often are missing key roles for skirmish (e.g. No archers). For me it's pointless 'saving' money by buying figures that I would not use!

The last bug is 'Kickstarter only' - not so much the single specials but never launching the figures for sale after the KS.

The perfect figure Kickstarter for me is a range of figures for skirmish, available quickly after the end of the funding with the ability to select the individual figures I want. You know it almost sounds like a web shop - wonder that's why I have spent more that way rather than KS launches?
andrewbeasley
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:52 am
Location: South of the North Pole

Re: Crowdfunding Projects

Postby EnglishRed » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:33 am

andrewbeasley wrote:

The perfect figure Kickstarter for me is a range of figures for skirmish, available quickly after the end of the funding with the ability to select the individual figures I want. You know it almost sounds like a web shop - wonder that's why I have spent more that way rather than KS launches?


I agree, although in the past I've been guilty of backing those big overblown projects. I'm now restricting myself to the smaller interesting figure ones that fill gaps in my collection. As much to help them see the light of day than anything.

Speaking of which the current Midlam miniatures one has one day left. I backed their Wizard apprentice KS and was impressed with both the price, quality of the finished product and speedy delivery. No hesitation in supporting them again.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... escription
EnglishRed
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: Crowdfunding Projects

Postby tidyfiguremaker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi Guys,
I relaunched my kickstarter with a much lower goal set which has been funded, it's not going gangbusters like some but at least they will get into production and it won't be a long wait either to receive the rewards. There are backer levels for £5, £13 and £38 with an "early bird" of £32 still available (17 at time of writing). I also don't think the sculpting is as soft as you think they are in the photo's they look much better in hand, maybe my photography isnt that good :? I didn't want to do zombies or Cthulhu as that is what everyone else does and so tried to be different. The fantasy figure of Archangel Michael is him in holy vengeance mode and there will be a version of him dressed in modern clothing, I didn't really make that clear. I wanted to go the kickstarter route as I just don't have the funds to get my own range produced and then wait for the sales so I can put it back into the next figures. I tried attaching a pic of all the figures in the campaign but it wouldn't link so here is a link to the update showing it:

Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/929431841/end-of-times-miniatures-range/posts/1773786
tidyfiguremaker
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: North East

Re: Crowdfunding Projects

Postby andrewbeasley » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Found 'Botallions' today - looks a simple game for introducing kids to robot style games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... escription

Problems I have with it are:
1) No idea of the physical size of the figures - I can take a guess based on the pic with the measuring stick BUT
2) No idea what material we get things in and if they will be the same size
3) I do not need anymore dice (esp D6) and have enough paper to build a full size plane and shoot it down with pens from the house
4) No real idea what I am funding - the money is possibly needed for an artist (going by the text they may have enough money) but what else? No way would it cover injection moulding so are they buying a 3D printer or creating the figures in resin or having a holiday?
5) I'm not going 'print and play' as they have no graphic artist but may have?

Shame because I basically like the idea but think its a wooly project that is either not costed correctly OR not described well.

(Damn - did not want to be so negative but this bugs me as I love simple war games)
andrewbeasley
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:52 am
Location: South of the North Pole

Re: Crowdfunding Projects

Postby supervike » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:18 am

andrewbeasley wrote:Found 'Botallions' today - looks a simple game for introducing kids to robot style games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... escription

Problems I have with it are:
1) No idea of the physical size of the figures - I can take a guess based on the pic with the measuring stick BUT
2) No idea what material we get things in and if they will be the same size
3) I do not need anymore dice (esp D6) and have enough paper to build a full size plane and shoot it down with pens from the house
4) No real idea what I am funding - the money is possibly needed for an artist (going by the text they may have enough money) but what else? No way would it cover injection moulding so are they buying a 3D printer or creating the figures in resin or having a holiday?
5) I'm not going 'print and play' as they have no graphic artist but may have?

Shame because I basically like the idea but think its a wooly project that is either not costed correctly OR not described well.

(Damn - did not want to be so negative but this bugs me as I love simple war games)


I think you are right on with your complaints.

They are going to give backers a pen and paper? That's just silly.

The idea of a quick pickup wargame is really good, but seems a bit high priced for some plastic square blobs. 50 bucks for the 'battlebox' seems a bit steep.
User avatar
supervike
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:59 pm
Location: USA

Re: Crowdfunding Projects

Postby Ramshackle_Curtis » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:33 am

andrewbeasley wrote:
The perfect figure Kickstarter for me is a range of figures for skirmish, available quickly after the end of the funding with the ability to select the individual figures I want. You know it almost sounds like a web shop - wonder that's why I have spent more that way rather than KS launches?


I agree, 2 days left on my KS which is just as you describe.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... =user_menu
"Opinions are like arse holes, we all have one but no one wants to hear it"

http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/newrel.html
User avatar
Ramshackle_Curtis
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Crowdfunding Projects

Postby andrewbeasley » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Nice sneaky ad Curtis :)

One new one coming up from Tiny Wargames is card hex scenery - I like the look of these (have this 'thing' for hexes you know)

Draft details: http://www.tinywargames.co.uk/copy-of-wargame-shows
andrewbeasley
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:52 am
Location: South of the North Pole

Re: Crowdfunding Projects

Postby Ramshackle_Curtis » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:27 am

Well, the jet bikes did really well! £5.5k Im actually a bit surprised, I thought they would do well under £2k. Its jolly good though as the profit will cover my tax. I messed up a payment and so have a £2k tax bill! The joys of self employment ;)

I did the project over the xmas period as the stuff was ready and I needed money. I was going to release them as just a normal release. However, I did that with a model a while back, a conversion of one of my robot models to make it bulkier. Anyway, zero-fucking-sales! Bullshit! Whereas everything I put on KS does quite well. It seems kickstarter is the best way to operate. Tnis whole crowdfunding is amazing, I really love the way you can get projects going in this way, its democratizing finance and I hope will lead to a financial revolution.

ANYWAY to bring it back to numbers if anyone wants to checkout the kicktraq graphs here is a link:
https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/179741323/jet-bike-construction-kit/
"Opinions are like arse holes, we all have one but no one wants to hear it"

http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/newrel.html
User avatar
Ramshackle_Curtis
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Crowdfunding Projects

Postby CrumbReaper » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:43 am

Ramshackle_Curtis wrote:Its jolly good though as the profit will cover my tax. I messed up a payment and so have a £2k tax bill!


:shock: well that's made me feel better about the £340 one I'm paying back fucking hell............!!

glad the KS did so well 8)
User avatar
CrumbReaper
 
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:04 am
Location: Northumberland, UK

PreviousNext

Return to Colonel Marbles' Mess Hall

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests