Mantic "Enforcers" (powered armour infantry)

Post reports of previously unseen miniatures here!

Moderator: Col. Marbles' Command Crew

Postby Blue in VT » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Gi6ers wrote:already ordered, hate the sword though.

I will consider these for a future...furture project :D but I agree the sword is lame...particularly when painted an eye popping blue like that! I dislike the idea that warriors in the future will be doing a lot of hand to hand combat...how often are marines of today employing their bayonets?

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/
Blue in VT

Postby Osbad NLI » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Blue in VT wrote:...how often are marines of today employing their bayonets?

less kften than Gurkhas use their kukris perhaps?

In any case its moot. In a universe infested with with technologically advanced giant bipedal rats, or dwarfs with armoured beards, maybe a wrist-mounted light-sword is a brilliant option? :) In any case, it beats a sharpened entrenching tool for coolness.

Each to their own.
Osbad NLI

Postby Osbad NLI » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:54 pm

*often
Osbad NLI

Postby Condottiero » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:01 pm

Blue in VT wrote:

I will consider these for a future...furture project :D but I agree the sword is lame...particularly when painted an eye popping blue like that! I dislike the idea that warriors in the future will be doing a lot of hand to hand combat...how often are marines of today employing their bayonets?

Cheers,

Blue

Question about Bayonet use on modern weapons ?
Depends on whether one is fighting in open countryside or in built up urban areas. IIRC, on a Military Channel program covering Gulf War II, an interviewed US Army Ranger used an axe or tomahawk during house to house fighting.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Condottiero wrote:
Blue in VT wrote:

Cheers,

Blue

Question about Bayonet use on modern weapons ?
Depends on whether one is fighting in open countryside or in built up urban areas. IIRC, on a Military Channel program covering Gulf War II, an interviewed US Army Ranger used an axe or tomahawk during house to house fighting.

There have been cases where US Marines used their K-Bars in the current conflict, although as knives vice fixed bayonets from what I've heard. Most common in house to house fighting as noted above.

Postby The Hierophant » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Ditto. Are there other hand options? First thing from Mantic I have ever liked I think!
The Hierophant

Postby Blue in VT » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:15 pm

I understand that they might be used from time to time...but would you give up your assault rifle in favor of a pistol and sword?

...unless you were being attacked by an armored beard...of course... :lol:

youre right...to each there own...for me less powerswords=good.

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/
Blue in VT

Postby Vermis » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Nice not-iron-men, but I'm also not a fan of the swords. They look awkward, somehow. I'm the last person to know anything about swordplay, but what's the pros and cons of strapped-over-your-forearm vs. in-your-hand-and-swinging-with-your-wrist?
Vermis

Postby Osbad NLI » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:27 am

Thinking about it, a "hand-held" blade (as opposed to a wrist- or rifle-mounted one) seems to be more useful - more leverage and flexibility?

Where a wrist- or gun-mounted one would score would be in that they leave both hands free for doing something else: in the case of the bayonet - clutching the rifle, in the case of the wrist-mounted sword when the owner is holding a pistol in the other hand.... er.... something? Enjoying throttling passing vermin? Reading pron? Picking your nose?

I do share the view that given the choice I would prefer using a hand held weapon over a wrist mounted one were I ever unfortunate enough to be in close combat, but it doesn't leave me lying sleepless at night, I must admit. When I first saw it, I thought "ooh, different".

Now on the other hand (to coin a phrase), any kind of mech or walker, that just makes me cringe at the sheer level of impracticality for a fighting vehicle! :)
Osbad NLI

Postby AndrewGPaul » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:32 am

I'm not a fan of big shiny melee weapons in any scifi setting other than 40k. I can just about justify these Mantic ones as being cutting tools for breaching bulkheads, walls and doors rather than for actual close combat.
AndrewGPaul

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting reports