Colours

Post here to keep us informed about your club, or chat about the shows, be they wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs or boardgames. Club and show dates and meetups go here!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Colours

Postby Bronshtein » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:00 am

Didn't make it. :(
How did it go this year?
Bronshtein

Postby Otto1485 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Quite large - not Salute by any means but pretty good, lots of traders and some very nice display games. :D

The B and B was a bit of a scrum though, with associated bad odours from some of the virulent soap dodgers... :(

Different car park with a longer walk in the rain.

ATB Otto 8)
Otto1485

Postby --- » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:05 pm

Seemed a little bit quieter than last year and the weather, thankfully, helped with the Newbury Stench. Good show but knackered after a 19 hour day....
---
Committee Member

Postby Bronshtein » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:48 pm

19 hours! When I were a lad... Sounds hard work.

The photos I've seen looked as if there was a fairly strong WWI bias in demo games. That may just be the things I've read/people I've talked to.

Hope you had a good sales day.

I know from a financial point of view it makes sense but I miss the option of going on a Sunday. (although I probably couldn't have made it today either this year :( )
Bronshtein

Postby --- » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Bronshtein wrote:The photos I've seen looked as if there was a fairly strong WWI bias in demo games. That may just be the things I've read/people I've talked to.

Ŕeally didn't see any of the show other than for a decidedly average bacon bun first thing and a tiny bit of shopping late on.

Hope you had a good sales day.

It was an odd day... lots of browse in the morning and we were almost at despair by lunch time. Once it quietened down they came out to spend... ended up being very good indeed :)

I know from a financial point of view it makes sense but I miss the option of going on a Sunday. (although I probably couldn't have made it today either this year :( )

It really doesn't make sense for us... we've taken more in the one day both times than we ever did when it was a 2 dayer.

Add in hotel rooms, food and booze and kennelling for Andy's mutts makes the 2 day shows almost prohibitively expensive. Derby is a notable exception but most are a waste of time and (our) money.
---
Committee Member

Postby Bronshtein » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:14 pm

Don't mind me - I understand I'm just an old git who doesn't like change (actually I'm an old git who finds it weird that getting a weekend free now seems to be harder than when I was young and footloose - theoretically).

Glad it picked up.

The food has always been crap and very expensive at the race course for some reason. I remember hacking an arm off to pay for a Cornish pasty once. Might as well have eaten the arm.
Bronshtein

Postby overrevdsquat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:05 am

Would love them to find a different venue - it gets so hot in that building I need to take a 10 minute break outside every half an hour!

Looking at the photo's, there was a bias to WW1 - didn't feel it at the show as they were all very different games. I thought the standard was high for a smallish show, especially on the smaller participation games. Even the 4 small Bolt action tables were attractively done. I think there was only one table that didn't inspire me to give it a second look.

B&B's are always a scrum. Prices seem to be becoming a bit more realistic now though. Staff were cheerful all day :).

I got a great deal on some Macrocosm figs, and a bit off the B&B (embarrassing GW stuff :oops: ). Boy 1 very happy with his frostgrave Gnolls, boy 2 pleased with another bag full of gw marines.

As a small aside - boy 1 wears wolf ears (it's a ASD thing for him). He (and we) are well used to getting looks walking down the high street, I was a little surprised just how many folks at a wargames show stood and stared :wry: .
overrevdsquat

Location: Staring into the dark hole that is my monitor, waiting for inspiration to strike.

Postby Bronshtein » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:40 am

Is there anything THAT embarrassing about GW? (Genuinely don't know - never done any).

Interesting it's regarded as a small show now. (What's bigger? Salute. Derby? Anything else?) I remember thinking how big it was first time I went when it was in the Hexagon, Reading. Thought the three level split at the racecourse seemed huge when it moved there. I probably don't get out much.

Interesting about your son. Mine has ASD as well (bloody genetics - I blame Mendel). Noise affects him most about places. He always likes the idea of rugby and football games but the experience is a bit overwhelming for him. Large echoing halls are a problem too, hence some of his reluctance to go to shows (he will play games with me at home, but shows just get to him).

Given the looks of many wargamers I'm surprised anyone even noticed Wolf Ears. :)

I actually quite like the venue (sympathise with the heat issue though - spent all day helping run a Society of Ancients game one year and baked as the sun poured in through the glass wall- probably didn't have that problem yesterday :D ). The ability to sit outside on the terrace is really good and finding it is dead easy.
Bronshtein

Postby overrevdsquat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Smallish I guess I used to be based more north, and had Derby, Sheffield (when it was still ok), various partizans, some of the Leeds shows etc, all of which had a bigger 'feel' than Colours. Even Warfare at Reading seems bigger now, even if it has less stairs to climb :wink: . Perhaps now it's as much to do with internet excitement beforehand? Colours barely registered on the various groups, where a partizan or Salute certainly cause comment.
overrevdsquat

Location: Staring into the dark hole that is my monitor, waiting for inspiration to strike.

Postby aliensurfer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:31 am

'Given the looks of many wargamers I'm surprised anyone even noticed Wolf Ears. :) '

I like the ears, makes it easier for us to locate him :-)

not forgotten about the squats btw - will give you the money on payday / when we meet up. :D
aliensurfer

Previous

Return to Clubs and Communities