Grimsby Wargames Club

Post here to keep us informed about your club, or chat about the shows, be they wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs or boardgames. Club and show dates and meetups go here!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Grimsby Wargames Club

Postby Jotunn » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:57 am

Levied Troop wrote:Stunningly bad behaviour, especially from the Chairman of any group.

I believe that I can agree with you on that. Have to admit my ignorance, but I have the impression that such behaviour is also illegal under current UK law.

Edited to add the word 'current'.
Amicalement
Armand
Jotunn

Postby nevermore » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:00 am

You have no idea John what it felt like, this went on for around a year and a half, the hate and support they got from a number of members within the club was staggering, people who Dave knew for 40 years turned on him because he himself has multiple sclerosis.

I was at Partizan the other day, would'nt even go near the Grimsby table, i saw people in wheelchairs at the venue and a large number of people with disabilities, we have that in the wargame world, i felt sick and angry at the same time, people have no idea what this Club is like, they seriously believe and are very committed and open to hate against disabled people.

My daughter is the youngest person with multiple sclerosis in the United Kingdom to have this, its so rare the school did'nt know what to do i had to pull her out, even the nurses are not trained to give injections to my Natasha because she is so young, the G.P. and nurses are not prepared to take the responsibility in case she gets seriously ill because it will fall on them.

The needle is like a intercept missile, the drug is called Avonex, she injects herself, she never once has cried and has always said people are worse off than her, she generally is a very nice person.

I wrote to Partizan explaining the situation of Grimsby Wargame club, that they should never have a table as this type of hate against disabled people should be stamped out in our hobby, i will protest outside the venue if they ever get a table at any venue and shame the lot of them, my next step then would be the national papers as my Natasha is abit of a celebrity being so young to have this desease.

Here is a photo the club is a friendly and pround club, the chairman is on this who made these comments, four committee members are also on this photo, they put this up on Lead Adventure Forum

image hosting over 5mb
nevermore

Postby Lem23 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Well there are some grade A fucknuggets right there.
Lem23

Re: t'Other Partizan - this Sunday

Postby Hastati » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:29 pm

nevermore wrote:Grimsby Wargames Club has a terrible history against people with Disabilties, i was told by the then chairman in front of members that people with multiple sclerosis should get thicker skins and it was right that they should be banned from the club,also told me the full committee fully supported it and i had to tell him to stop laughing in my face a number of times, three times to be precise.

My daughter is 15 years old and has multiple sclerosis, lost the sight in one eye and her walking is very poor, she also has short term memory lost, the amount of verbal abuse was directed at my family with mail coming through my letterbox ect.. in the end i had no choice but to get the police involved.

Grimsby Wargames Club has been very open about this, i find it very sad that grown men feel this way about disabled people

Very sorry to hear this Malc. I greatly appreciate all of your posts here. All the best to you and your daughter.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Katie » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:35 pm

"are very committed and open to hate against disabled people."

I've never really understood this kind of thing -- it's the one minority everyone (including them) can join in a split-second without wanting to...
The line between wild and crazy gets blurry..
Katie

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:11 am

You really have to be quite a determined arsehole to act like that.
I suspect most of the club's behaviour stems from one individual, with others just being easily led and stupid for going along with it. In a club situation, and from what others have said, that's got to be the chairman in this case. I suspect he has quite a forceful and domineering personality. If they got rid of him I bet it would all stop. It never ceases to amaze (and sadden me) that people don't chose to get rid of the nasty little twat in charge who is making life horrid for others. Does it really never occur to them that the eyes could fall on them at some point?
I wonder what happened to him to make him think and act like this?
An Absent Humphrey

Postby Evil Troll » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:14 am

+1 to both Katie and A Chaotic Humphrey.
Evil Troll

Postby Paul Hicks » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:12 am

Not posted for a very long time. But this has just made me break my absence.

I can only echo what other's have written. These people have no place in our hobby community. Having a good look at them in the photo. I think we can all be pleased to see that they are over weight and quite aged. Some would see these two factors life limiting in their own right.

What would the Grimsby club do if a disabled Vet came to their club? Would he/she face the same sort of abuse?
Paul Hicks

Postby Drjackson » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Have you contacted disability advocacy groups for help ?
"Your assumption is that TMP's fortunes are down because of something I'm doing (or not doing). Again, that's your opinion, but there's no evidence for that."
- Editor in Chief Bill
Drjackson

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Yes we have, and they were not overly helpful. The police were very supportive, and despite what was written on the Guild do not issue warning letters lightly, we had at least four interactions with them before the letter was issued.
It was not just one member, the committee consisted of five individuals at that time, we have specific incidents logged against All of them. Four are still to the best of my knowledge officers of the club.

We understand they intend to put on a game at Partizan next year and intend to protest to the organisers if they do.
Would anyone who goes to the show like to help or suggest ways of getting our disdain across to them ?
Your support means a lot, you cannot imagine what it has been like having to put up with this and the complete silence from people you have known for in some cases 40 years ,is in many ways worse than the bile of the perpetrators.

PreviousNext

Return to Clubs and Communities