Next year's Salute game....

Post here to keep us informed about your club, or chat about the shows, be they wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs or boardgames. Club and show dates and meetups go here!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Next year's Salute game....

Postby Skipp » Wed May 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Doesn't do it for me, personally, but then I have zero interest in football...

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby Skipp » Wed May 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Having said that - and having played perhaps 4 or 5 of the salute games, my favourites have allowed Frothers to create warbands, and have been quick.

I'd ask Akky to do the rules, and go for a community build on terrain and minis....

Getting the actual game right is key (so not cthuledo) and the forum participation (ala mad madge and the town of frotheheim.... Though the game sucked balls that year)

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby --- » Wed May 06, 2015 8:45 pm

Yep, you're (mostly) right - Cthluedo was, arguably, the best community project in terms of the build but as a game it was shite (but then so is cluedo). Mad Madge was my favourite game in simple terms of what everyone came up with - mad genius from a lot of guys 8) The best games were WW1 Subbuteo and Ddeps' Tron bikes but they were (more) single efforts rather than community ones. It's a nightmare to find the right balance.....
---
Committee Member

Postby mcfonz » Wed May 06, 2015 10:22 pm

The real problem is that you want a game that can be flexible in it's contribution - didn't a couple of the Cthluedo rooms fail to materialise in the end?

That's why Castle Frotherheim and town of Frotherheim worked - as long as there was at least so much terrain and at least so many miniatures you had a game.

You really need someone to take ownership of it. When I put Frothtown 2040 or whatever I called it together, the idea was to provide enough for others to add to should they wish to, but be prepared to do the legwork.

As it happened, very few people showed any sign of wanting to help with terrain. I got support from 6milphil for terrain pieces and on the day Aliensurfer contributed some rather nice scatter terrain.

Upon reflection, I probably had too much of a specific idea in my head for what I wanted to do. If I had gone gang based then I am sure more people would have provided miniatures. But it still leaves the terrain, which I suspect fewer people are willing to contribute towards.

Which again, underlines the importance of the likes of Ben and Akky effectively providing the canvass for people's painted miniatures to battle across.
My building and painting Blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
My review blog (miniatures, terrain etc): http://miniaturesofakind.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby --- » Wed May 06, 2015 10:44 pm

All the rooms arrived - the first time it was assembled was on the day - top effort from everyone involved 8)
---
Committee Member

Postby Voltan » Thu May 07, 2015 7:54 am

Dags wrote:
Skipp wrote:These are all shit ideas.

We need something that allows players to field small warbands and that has rules playable in 45 minutes.

Any fucking theme should do...

Aggro 0;)

Only if you have a Tintin the red figure. :wry:
Andrew Cockney Rae wrote:Elbows and knees, elbows and knees!

Voltan

Postby Skipp » Thu May 07, 2015 8:10 am

Voltan wrote:
Dags wrote:
Skipp wrote:These are all shit ideas.

We need something that allows players to field small warbands and that has rules playable in 45 minutes.

Any fucking theme should do...

Aggro 0;)

Only if you have a Tintin the red figure. :wry:

I used to have that comic... Always remember the panel with him throwing a petrol bomb...

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby Captain of Ark B. » Thu May 07, 2015 8:22 am

...Wild West...

Suits the gang/small warband thing, plenty of rules around, minimal terrain, buildings are easily bought or made and can be free standing and delivered in small numbers on the day... Plenty of scope for character models...

0:)
Tony Reidy of Frothers, wrote:...pissant little fucktards buzzing around being annoying.
Captain of Ark B.
Committee Member

Postby --- » Thu May 07, 2015 9:12 am

Cowboys vs Aliens (shit film but a guilty pleasure all the same) might give more flexibility?
---
Committee Member

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Thu May 07, 2015 9:43 am

What about a Doug McClure inspired game?
An Absent Humphrey

PreviousNext

Return to Clubs and Communities