SELWG 13th October

Post here to keep us informed about your club, or chat about the shows, be they wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs or boardgames. Club and show dates and meetups go here!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: SELWG 13th October

Postby Kes » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:43 pm

I'll be there on the bring and buy as usual. Will need to escape and have a look around when the kids turn up :)
Kes

Postby leadlined » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:00 pm

I'll be going.
If you are looking for a nice pub in Croydon I would recommend the Dog & Bull or the Royal Standard. A lot of the others will be full of tossers and can't keep a decent pint of beer if they tried.
leadlined

Postby --- » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:06 pm

leadlined wrote:If you are looking for a nice pub in Croydon I would recommend the Dog & Bull or the Royal Standard.

I wish - 4am start and then heading back north afterwards so it'll be a pint in the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet at about 10pm if I'm lucky :(
---
Committee Member

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:39 pm

I'll be there.
I'll be taking a lunchtime dip in the Olympic sized swimming pool in my blue speedos. No ogling - I know you'll all be sitting in the crappy fold-down seats, pretending to look through what you've bought, but I know that you'll be raping me with your eyes.
An Absent Humphrey

Postby 6milPhil » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Kes wrote:I'll be there on the bring and buy as usual. Will need to escape and have a look around when the kids turn up :)

Does the bring and buy do well?

Sorely tempted, I wonder how much diesel is in the car...
6milPhil

Postby Germy Bugger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Well I'll be sticking a copy of blood bowl and half a dozen gundam model kits on the bring and buy, so I'm hoping it's a good one 8)

Only ever put things on the salute bring and buy before.
Germy Bugger

Postby THE Killer Bob » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:28 pm

It happened, I woz there.

Very wet. Even inside some parts of the venue.

First obstacle was the waterfall coming down the stairs of Crystal Palace station. Lesser folk were washed down and away but I had toy soldiers to play with so I struggled manfully on.

Some years the walk along the shortcut path from station to SELWG is a trek in blazing sunshine, once it was a struggle through arctic snow. This year the path was a gushing stream of water and I had to go the long way round on the road.

I sat by the swimming pool looking for Humph's toned body but the bastard wasn't there. But I did notice the quite large amounts of water coming through the roof and dripping into the pool. Shirley it was only a few years ago that they replaced that roof (finding that the old one contained asbestos as they started to pull it apart)? It is already knackered.

There was another leak just in front of the bring'n'buy. Various fat bald smelly people would look accusingly at the other wargamers around them as they got dripped on. Almost nobody looked upwards. Weird.

I saw Germy but he was talking to people with balloons so I wandered away intending to return later . . .

I avoided the Stafford stall and the Ainsty stall. Purchased almost nothing at all from Dave T and have managed to smuggle it into the house without the wife noticing.

Hit the pub at 2 and home by 7! A pretty good day, despite the biblical amounts of rain.
It's happening again...
THE Killer Bob

Postby THE Killer Bob » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 pm

leadlined wrote:If you are looking for a nice pub in Croydon I would recommend the Dog & Bull or the Royal Standard. A lot of the others will be full of tossers and can't keep a decent pint of beer if they tried.

While I admire your taste in pubs and would certainly agree that the Dull Bog and Royal S are two of the best pubs in Croydon; I do think you are being a bit harsh on the rest of the hostelries of the City Of A Thousand Dreams. There's a fair few others that are of outstanding quality and the best of the lot is Clarets in Addiscombe.

Shirley you're really just talking about that cluster of shithole venues in the middle of Croydon that cater for the 17 year olds with fake IDs and other sundry wankers?
It's happening again...
THE Killer Bob

Postby Germy Bugger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:32 pm

THE Bob wrote:I saw Germy but he was talking to people with balloons so I wandered away intending to return later . . .

Yeah did a shit load of talking today, mainly because I didn't have anything I actually wanted to buy :|
Did make me laugh that Levied actually brought a utility bill to prove who he was :lol:
Germy Bugger

Postby --- » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Just home - feet up with a beer - 19 hour day door to door - knackered.

Not a bad show - saw Bob walking in the opposite direction which, generally, made it :wink:
---
Committee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Clubs and Communities