So-So Salute

Post here to keep us informed about your club, or chat about the shows, be they wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs or boardgames. Club and show dates and meetups go here!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

So-So Salute

Postby Hastati » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Well, my Salute this year was fairly bizarre and a bit of a let down. I basically spent about 400 odd euros for 3 hours of attendance. It was a one off due to special circumstances of my mate, and me wanting to show a bit of solidarity, but I won't do that again.

We arrived at Excel around 0930 or so from St. Pancras, then waited an hour to get in. The queue just crawled in. By the time I had dropped off chocs it was almost 1100. We made one full circuit of the hall, had some lunch, and left at 1400 to go back to St. Pancras to get the train back to Brussels.

I bought the princely sum of 26 quid worth of stuff. A very unsatisfying state of affairs to be sure.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Re: So-So Salute

Postby geronimo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Didn't spot you at all David, sorry if you got lost in the scrum. I did notice a few friends and acquaintances trying to grab a quick word but we barely stopped all day....
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby redzed » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Hastati wrote: It was a one off due to special circumstances of my mate, and me wanting to show a bit of solidarity, but I won't do that again.

no Salute again or no solidarity with a mate again?
redzed

Postby Hastati » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Nope, I never even got the chance to see you or Jon. It was really a pretty crap day other than as a day out with my mate, who has had a pretty shitty time over the last two months.

I forgot to mention that Matt and Ben's respective tables were awesome. Glad to hear that Ben and Pete got something for their efforts.

It was just utterly bizarre to be back at home in Belgium (for Christ's sake!) by 1945h. Almost a surreal experience.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Hastati » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:56 pm

redzed wrote:
Hastati wrote: It was a one off due to special circumstances of my mate, and me wanting to show a bit of solidarity, but I won't do that again.

no Salute again or no solidarity with a mate again?

I won't do the whirlwind tour again. I told him that I will stay overnight next year. I'm happy to go over in the morning together, but if he needs to get back to Brussels early then he has to come back alone. He was up shit creek this year as his mum just passed away (while he was away on his honeymoon!) and he now has his 92 year old invalid father at home with him. Tough situation and I didn't want to be a douchebag and abandon him.
Hastati

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm sorry it wasn't so good for you this year David. It was a pleasure to see you again and the chocs went down very well indeed. Hopefully we'll get more time to chat next year
Frothers: "Nerd culture baseball bat to the face !" (the Badsmile 18/4/12)
Badger Loving Fluffster
Associate Member

Postby AKULA » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks for the chocolates David - was ashame we didn't get longer to have a chat.

On the plus side an away win at Fulham 8)
AKULA
Associate Member

Postby Hastati » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:57 pm

AKULA wrote:Thanks for the chocolates David - was ashame we didn't get longer to have a chat.

On the plus side an away win at Fulham 8)

Aye, and Spurs are losing!
Hastati

Postby mcfonz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Was good to meet you David even if very briefly.

Sorry to hear about your friend, but the decision you made was totally understandable and very fine. Sometimes there are more important things in life than toy soldiers!
My building and painting Blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
My review blog (miniatures, terrain etc): http://miniaturesofakind.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby Duff » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Why didn't you stop at the Fenris stand and say hello you cunt?
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Next

Return to Clubs and Communities