Sci Fi Boardgame Recommendations

Proper frother gaming in its purest form, without the stupid miniatures. Prepare to receive Boarders!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Sci Fi Boardgame Recommendations

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:10 pm

I'm looking for some sci fi boardgame recommendations.
I don't know what I mean by 'sci fi' (whether in space, on land, or something else) so feel free to interpret it how you like.
The parameters are:
- must be playable in 2 or so hours
- Must be still available
- Cost limit about £30-£40 max
- Pretty simple to play (about the complexity of Talisman)
- If you could tell me something about the game that'd be great

Cheers
An Absent Humphrey

Re: Sci Fi Boardgame Recommendations

Postby aliensurfer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:37 pm

did GW not do a 40K Talisman style game?
aliensurfer

Postby molson » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:45 am

A couple of Avalon Hill classics come to mind. Amoeba Wars and Merchant of Venus.
molson

Postby countersunk81 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:11 am

aliensurfer wrote:did GW not do a 40K Talisman style game?

Yup, Relic:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fantasy-Flight-Games-FFGRE01-Relic/dp/161661336X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430211815&sr=8-1&keywords=40k+relic

Plus there is this new one which is just getting set for delivery from a successful kickstarter which looks ace:
http://www.galaxyoftrian.com/

Galaxy of Trian wrote:Galaxy of Trian is a tile-based sci-fi game, during which the players explore an expanding galaxy.
Game is designed for 2-4 players, above the age of ten, and the playtime of 45-60 min.Players command opposing forces in a race to discover and control the powerful technology left behind by the unmatched race Trian. As the game plays proceeds players form a galaxy full of nebulas, gas clouds, planetary systems and outer space using triangular, two-sided tiles.Players take turns drawing a tile and placing it on the table, thus forming planetary systems, nebulas, and the area of outer space, in which spaceships move. Each turn players obtain minerals [crystals] from the nebulae they control. The basic unit in the game is an emissary, which has the ability to fight over nebulas and planetary systems. When the player wins dominance in the system, the emissary is able to take control over the research stations left by the Trian race.
countersunk81

Postby EnglishRed » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:00 am

Th is weekend I played Rex:Final Days of Empire. It's a risk in of the old Dune boardgame. Looks really complicated but is quite straightforward. Fighting, diplomacy and lots of back stabbing.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/104 ... ays-empire
EnglishRed

Postby Malebolgia » Wed May 20, 2015 1:26 pm

New Dawn:
http://store.artipiagames.com/index.php ... ory_id=178

Backed the Kickstarter (and got it in time as promised...go Artipia!) and really like it! It's totally different from a lot of other regular board games. Basically it's a space exploration game where you find space stations, take them and also conquer them from the other players. The game doesn't last very long, but the duration is just right. It feels paced, but not rushed. And the gameplay itself is very good. The artwork is GORGEOUS.

My rating: 9/10
TwoGunBob wrote:If it's made out of plastic I am not interested. Steam punked plastic dongs go limp too easily.
Malebolgia

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Thu May 21, 2015 11:16 am

Malebolgia wrote:New Dawn:
http://store.artipiagames.com/index.php ... ory_id=178

Backed the Kickstarter (and got it in time as promised...go Artipia!) and really like it! It's totally different from a lot of other regular board games. Basically it's a space exploration game where you find space stations, take them and also conquer them from the other players. The game doesn't last very long, but the duration is just right. It feels paced, but not rushed. And the gameplay itself is very good. The artwork is GORGEOUS.

My rating: 9/10

They have another KS at the moment called Project: Elite which looks like a lot of fun. 4 more days to go I think.
Frothers: "Nerd culture baseball bat to the face !" (the Badsmile 18/4/12)
Badger Loving Fluffster
Associate Member

Postby countersunk81 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:27 pm

New Dawn looks lovely!

We got our copy of Galaxy of Trian, it's a lot of fun and the quality of components is excellent.
countersunk81

Postby Ace From Outer Space » Thu May 28, 2015 11:45 pm

countersunk81 wrote:
aliensurfer wrote:did GW not do a 40K Talisman style game?

Yup, Relic:

I like the look of that. Anyone played it?
Ace From Outer Space

Postby ork56 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:33 am

Eclipse is good, sounds like that Galaxy KS above though, Galaxy exploration and tech research theme.
Eminent Domain, essentially a stripped down deck builder of Eclipse-very neat little game.
Alien Frontiers worker placement (dice rolling) game with similar spacey options to build fleets, colonise planets etc. better with 3+ players.
ork56

Next

Return to Boardgamers' Galley