actually good, replayable board games?

Proper frother gaming in its purest form, without the stupid miniatures. Prepare to receive Boarders!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

actually good, replayable board games?

Postby Skipp » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:14 am

Go on then, tell us which games you actually enjoy, go back to and get your moneys worth out of?

Suggestions to go to Board game geek will not be appreciated - also nobody say carcassone or settlers of catan...
(haven't played either but they do seem to be universally liked)

Ive considered descent (But I have a D&D group so why bother) and Zombicide - both of which similarly have lots of game pieces - but having read mixe3d reviews (of both) - I've been put off handing over the cash (which with expansions turns into alot of cash)...

I want - tension, the chance for someone to win from behind (cue steders) and real replayability / value.

One example of a game with good replayability (over many years) is Risk - particularly using the mission cards, very simple mechanic, deep game (due to actually playing opponents not some piss poor mechanic - Im looking at Arkham Horror - which has some nice features, like the monster movement, but in the end is a bit.. dull)

so go on, what should I be buying or looking at..

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Re: actually good, replayable board games?

Postby BadBabyBunny » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:28 am

War on terror... Funnier than risk and with better box art.

Any game that has my mum saying "so tell me. How much are terrorists these days?" gets my vote.
THIS IS A FIERCE BAD RABBIT;
look at his savage whiskers,
and his claws and his turned-
up tail.
BadBabyBunny

Postby DemonEtrigan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:45 pm

Collaborative or competitive?

Collaborative go for Pandemic or Ghost Stories, both games that are very hard to beat and have a huge amount of replayability. With the expansion pandemic can be played with a traitor mechanic as one person plays a secret bio-terrorist (bit like hunt for dracula). Zombicide is excellent as well as is shadows over Camelot.

Competitive - Lords of Waterdeep, fiveTribes, Tzolk'in are all exceptional games with loads of replayability.
DemonEtrigan

Postby countersunk81 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:07 pm

I like Zombicide a lot, a group of us is playing that pretty regularly.
Cadwallon: City of thieves is pretty fun, there's a fair few missions in that which changes things up and adds to replayability.

Talisman I find a bit of a slog. It can be a laugh but often just drags on...
countersunk81

Postby UrbanWulf » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:11 pm

My current favourite is Zombicide, when my family and friends all get together to play it we always have a blast, and I'm also enjoying converting and painting all the figures as well. Don't have any of the expansions though so can't comment on those. Can't think of any others as I'm not really a huge board game player and the rest of the stuff I play is fairly simple "family" games rather than your more complex fare.
Stuttering guns pounding ever nearer
Pounding faster than a heart in fever
UrbanWulf

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:16 pm

Kingmaker or Blood Royale.
Both are good and provide endlessly variable games because they rely on skulduggery and back-stabbing by players.
They also provide for epic stories when you look back on the games. There's easy scope for using both games for grand strategy and using your preferred tabletop rule set for when battles occur, meaning you can turn the games into epic campaigns. If you want.
Not sure if they're in production any more though, so you'll have to scour for second-hand copies (which go for good money because the games are so good people want them).
The only real drawback is that neither game is short. You need to put aside a whole day. But you'll be glad you did.
An Absent Humphrey

Postby kawasaki » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:22 pm

A Chaotic Humphrey wrote:Kingmaker or Blood Royale.

Kingmaker is terrific. You need at least 4 players to make it swing though, and it can go on a bit.

Haven't played it for years. Which is odd, because I've still got a copy...

Dune from AH is another good competitive multi-player game. It's really rather clever.

Got a copy of that too. Haven't played that for years either :roll:
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:39 pm

Here's another vote for Zombicide. There's a certain amount of replayability on each scenario due to the way search results and zombie spawns are drawn, and there are 10 (ish) scenarios per game set / expansion. On top of that there is a regular flow of new stuff put up on their website by fans and by Guillotine Games.

Other than that I'm not hige on board games (though I do want to start getting some classics for the kids to play, like Risk) but there are loads of great reviews of games over at Shut Up & Sit Down if you want pointers on where to start: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/

Lastly our very own DDep has a worker placement game, Waggledance, which is a bit bloody good. I've played it a few times and always find it fun and a close run thing to the finish ( http://www.grublin.com/waggledance/main )
Frothers: "Nerd culture baseball bat to the face !" (the Badsmile 18/4/12)
Badger Loving Fluffster
Associate Member

Postby Pijlie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:44 pm

I can recommend Zombicide. We played Mansions of madness a few times and that too looks promising.
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?
Pijlie

Postby EnglishRed » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:13 pm

Lords of Waterdeep, particularly with the expansion, is a great game.

For more of a Risk, Kingmaker type game the Game of Thrones 2nd edition board game is excellent.

Pandemic is co-op but a really good, tense game.

I haven't played it but a lot of my board games friends absolutely love Dead of Winter. Sort of co-op but with betrayal mechanics and a neat theme.

One of my personal favourites is he Battlestar Galactica game. You need a group of 5 or so, takes ages and helps if you like the tv show but can result in really memorable, back stabbing games.
EnglishRed

Next

Return to Boardgamers' Galley