ASL?

Proper frother gaming in its purest form, without the stupid miniatures. Prepare to receive Boarders!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: ASL?

Postby Passer by » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:54 pm

well, glad to hear some love :)

It looks like the "full enchilada" of all the stuff for the game is pretty expensive, so dipping my toes in gently sounds pretty good.
Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby Altius » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:22 pm

Passer by wrote:well, glad to hear some love :)

It looks like the "full enchilada" of all the stuff for the game is pretty expensive, so dipping my toes in gently sounds pretty good.

The original AH version used a system of introducing different sections of the rules with each new supplement. It helped to ease players into it gradually without getting overwhelmed. Hopefully they will follow the same format.

I wonder if the new edition will differ much from my original 90s version.
I'm not a bad man but in certain situations I have to ask myself - what would a bad man do?
Altius

Postby DemonEtrigan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Altius wrote:
Passer by wrote:well, glad to hear some love :)

The original AH version used a system of introducing different sections of the rules with each new supplement. It helped to ease players into it gradually without getting overwhelmed. Hopefully they will follow the same format.

I wonder if the new edition will differ much from my original 90s version.

mine's in the post as well...god damn whoever started this thread!!!
DemonEtrigan

Postby Passer by » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:26 pm

It looks like the "proper" game is 80 bucks or so for the rulebook and 100 or so for "Beyond Valor" which has krauts and reds (which is what I want to play in any event) plus boards and a bunch of scenarios.
Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby Steders » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:16 am

Altius wrote:The original AH version used a system of introducing different sections of the rules with each new supplement. It helped to ease players into it gradually without getting overwhelmed.

I'm sure the introduction scenario included sewer movement (it was a Stalingrad game).
It did have some fantastic scenarios though. I've used a couple for Bolt action recently
Steders

Postby molson » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 am

You might be thinkin of "Red Barricades", the 1st campaign module for ASL. It's set in Stalingrad and features a host of advanced rules such as sewer movement.

The 1st "official" scenario is in "Beyond Valour" and features Finnish border guards delaying the Russians in 1940. It's quite a good one with lots of interesting tactics but no sewer movement.
molson

Postby DemonEtrigan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 pm

To be honest if you want to play Krauts v's Reds and you can find a copy, just buy the original Squad Leader boxed set.

Some brilliant scenarios without much of the complexity of ASL.
DemonEtrigan

Postby Steders » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:35 am

Scenario 1 in the ASl box set is 'The Guard Counter attack', set in Stalingrad. I remember playing it, it uses the German officer who is so crap he has an adverse effect on morale.
So there Molson you cunt! :D
Steders

Postby Hastati » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Steders wrote:Scenario 1 in the ASl box set is 'The Guard Counter attack', set in Stalingrad. I remember playing it, it uses the German officer who is so crap he has an adverse effect on morale.
So there Molson you cunt! :D

That's from Squad Leader, not ASL, you daft cunt. AH ASL never had a box set. You buy the separate rules binder plus the various boxed supplement sets of counters/boards/scenarios.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Steders » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Hastati wrote:That's from Squad Leader, not ASL, you daft cunt.

:oops:

Why don't you just fuck off you twatting Nerd
Steders

PreviousNext

Return to Boardgamers' Galley