ASL?

Proper frother gaming in its purest form, without the stupid miniatures. Prepare to receive Boarders!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: ASL?

Postby Passer by » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:50 pm

kawasaki wrote:Download Steel Panthers WWII for your PC free here

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Works ... _page.html (scroll down, download link's on the right)

and save yourself the expense and the headaches :wink:

Played many many many many hours of that and MBT.
Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby molson » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:55 am

Love MBT. There are some great post 1990 cards for Sweden, China and France on Consim World.

Played the Retaking Vierville (S1) scenario between watching the Bills and Dolphins lose, and really enjoyed it. Immediately reminded of how ASL generates epic stories all on it's own, through events like: snipers, HoB and Leader generation.
molson

Postby Passer by » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:42 am

As an aside, I did end up ordering the starter kit. I'm honestly not looking for a huge hobby in itself, just something fun to take off the shelf once in a while. I'll let you know how I fare when I get it.
Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby Steders » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:01 am

Played loads of ASL when I was younger. Had a really good mate who knew the rules inside and out. The games were fantastic
Picked it up a few years ago for a bit of nostalgia and I was shocked by how heavy going it is.
Whats this starter set malarkey?
Steders

Postby Passer by » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:21 am

Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby Steders » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:45 am

Are the rules different at all? I still have my boxset somewhere.

Shouldn't this be in the boardgame forum?
Whats the point in having a boardgame forum if no one uses it (actually if it had gone in there I would never have seen it, so leave it where it is)
Steders

Postby Passer by » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:52 am

Steders wrote:Are the rules different at all? I still have my boxset somewhere.

Shouldn't this be in the boardgame forum?
Whats the point in having a boardgame forum if no one uses it (actually if it had gone in there I would never have seen it, so leave it where it is)

Was too busy masturbating to realize there was one :)

From what I understand, its more like a cut down version of the rules, focusing just on one aspect in each starter kit. It's supposed to be fully compatible ultimately, but most reviews of this thing is made by hard-core ASL nerds.
Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby pedro » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:42 am

How about combat commander:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2105 ... der-europe
I see it as ASL for the current century
very nice mechanics, good replayability
doesn't suport vehicles ist's a pure infantry game

another option, but for a bit larger scale, is:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2480 ... ia-1941-42

I always see ASL as a very heavy game which tries to cover every single situation with a particular mechanic. If you know how to play, it is as natural as drinking but if are not familiar with it it's very dificult
Cheers,
Pedro
pedro

Postby Glenn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:03 am

I had years of hapy experiences with ASL and SL, played through he second world war and various other campaigns and still have sa huge fondness for the game, as well as a huge collection, but these days I strugggle to find the time to play and have discovered that wheras the guys I first played it with in the late 80s and 90s still enjoy it my younger rpg/wargame friends find it too technical and time consuming.

Still.....its a huge nostalgia blast and I will someday finish the red barricades :)
Glenn

Postby Altius » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:43 pm

ASL is one of my favorite games. I used to play it every week with a couple of other guys.

I always hear how complicated it is, but I never found it to be that difficult at all. Once we learned the basic rules, we would play games without ever having to crack the rule book. The only time it got complicated was with the optional rules ( air drops, night rules, etc.), and you didn't need to use those very often.

I've been thinking recently of adapting these to miniatures. I think it's been done before but I haven't played with them.
I'm not a bad man but in certain situations I have to ask myself - what would a bad man do?
Altius

PreviousNext

Return to Boardgamers' Galley