D&D Dungeon Command.

Proper frother gaming in its purest form, without the stupid miniatures. Prepare to receive Boarders!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

D&D Dungeon Command.

Postby Captain of Ark B. » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Has anyone played the new D&D Dungeon Command, mini skirmish game?

Two box gets currently available; Earthy Goodies and Drow baddies, ?30 a set and more planned (gobbos and undead).

I sort of fancy it for me and my boy, but I need to know how it plays before I shell out. ?65 is a lot to stump-up if it's a stinker... My local games store owner says its good, doing away with dice and running its mechanism on cards...

So, anyone tried it?
Tony Reidy of Frothers, wrote:...pissant little fucktards buzzing around being annoying.
Captain of Ark B.
Committee Member

Postby Greblord » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Check out my blog @ http://greblord-littlemen.blogspot.com

WHAT DO WE WANT? A CURE FOR TOURETTES!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT? CUNT!
Greblord

Postby Captain of Ark B. » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:27 am

So I got fed up with waiting for you cunts to give me your opinions, and I went ahead a bought it... and with-in its limited scope it is quite good.
The games are fast and furious, with the combats based on a Magic the Gathering type card system instead of dice, which does lead to a lot of the kind of 'if you do that, I do this' outcomes which keep players on thier toes.
The minis are ok, not great, plastic pre-paints, but as this lets you play straight out of the box with no preparations, that's a winner for me, and the board tiles are good, double-sided heavy duty card, and in few games we've played have provided enough variety to give interesting battlefields on which to fight.
Most of the games we've had, me and my kids, one 15 and one 11 had been close fought, down to the wire type affairs, with two or three of the games literally coming down to the last turn of a card.

Down-sides? Well it is limited it it scope, it's just a dungeon bash, and although there are rules for designing your own decks, there is no Charactor advancement or experience gain...

Over all, we are enjoying it, the two boxes that are already released are getting a lot of use, and we are looking forward to more coming in the next few months.

So, if you fance a game of D&D with out any dice and with the Role-playing aspect removed ( :shock: ) it's worth a try...
Tony Reidy of Frothers, wrote:...pissant little fucktards buzzing around being annoying.
Captain of Ark B.
Committee Member

Postby Mister_Barista » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:14 am

Played again this afternoon to get the free card (Mirror Image Promo). Still prefer standard D&D Miniatures skirmish, but we play that every Thursday.

What I really like is that the same miniatures in many cases may be used in three 'official' games -- Dungeon Command, D&D Miniatures Skirmish, and the three boxed adventure games.

Of course, they may be used in many other games unofficially, like Dungeon Crawler: Labyrinth too.
Mister_Barista

Postby Captain of Ark B. » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:50 am

Ok, four expansions into this game now, and its proving to be quite subtle... the mixture of creatures cards, with their own special abilities, and the order cards, is making of a good varied mix of games and events...and.. most of the games we've played have come down to the very tight finishes, with just a couple of moral points in it...

https://www.wizards.com/DnD/Product.asp ... 0786960434

12 pre-paints, a bunch of cards and a few nice terrain tiles in every box, and now Book-depository in the UK is flogging them for about ?20.00 inc postage
Captain of Ark B.
Committee Member

Postby Captain of Ark B. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:49 pm

More D&D Dungeon Command released...
Orcs...
an ogre
and an Owl Bear!
result.

Losing more games than I'm winning though... :roll:
Captain of Ark B.
Committee Member

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Hmmmmmmm . . . interesting . . .
Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Mongrel

Postby Captain of Ark B. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:47 pm

That makes it look slightly more cheesey than it is , but it is quite fun for a 45 min beat'um-up game...

The cards make it. :froth:
Captain of Ark B.
Committee Member

Re: D&D Dungeon Command.

Postby Archie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:32 am

Got this for my kids at Christmas. Like the look of it and the packaginand presentation is top notch which you want for a pesent obvously.
Archie

Return to Boardgamers' Galley