Histroty of Finland?

Works of literature worth frothing over (or avoiding like the pox).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Histroty of Finland?

Postby Clayface » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:02 am

I have just finished a very interesting history about Irish Neutrality during wwii, a subject i knew little about.

It set me thinking about neutrality in general, and the different ways it can be interpreted, and I realised probably the most similar nation is Finland, sharing a land-border with the former Imperial Power and creating a national identity etc. Is there a good general history of Finland my fellow Frothers would recommend?
Clayface

Re: Histroty of Finland?

Postby Clayface » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:10 am

Sod it, it appears I don't want a History, i want a Histroty. Serves me right for drinking and reading at the same time.
Clayface

Postby kawasaki » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:10 am

Finland wasn't neutral during WWII though :|
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby Clayface » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:40 am

Nope. But it would have been if the former Imperial Power hadn't invaded her and nicked a great chunk of her land. But Neutral or not, (soberer now) it was faced with a similar sort of problem. Obviously Finland's neighbours were cunts, but the Irish feared WE were going to use force to get the treaty ports back, or even re-assert control.
Clayface

Postby kawasaki » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:33 am

Finland was part of the Kingdom of Sweden until 1810, then the Russians grabbed it (I wonder how Bernadotte and Napoleon let that happen?) and held on to it until the Revolution when Finland claimed independence. And promptly had its own civil war, with the German Empire supporting the eventual winners.

That might have pissed the former owners off a bit.

Then after finally throwing off the Soviet yoke in WWII the fought their former German, er, allies through the winter of 1944-45.

After all that they still ended up losing a Baltic and an Arctic port to the Soviets at the end of the war.

Now, where did I put that Sibelius CD..?
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby Etranger2 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:11 am

Other claims to fame are the first country to have full adult suffrage in Europe, a high rate of alcoholism, high rates of depression and suicide, the highest incidence of blondes in the population & the highest homicide rate in Western Europe. These things may be interconnected.....

And I knew Sibelius's great nephew, who was my old boss!
Etranger2

Postby Clayface » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:29 am

Etranger2 wrote:Other claims to fame are the first country to have full adult suffrage in Europe, a high rate of alcoholism, high rates of depression and suicide, the highest incidence of blondes in the population & the highest homicide rate in Western Europe. These things may be interconnected.....

And I knew Sibelius's great nephew, who was my old boss!

also, so I am told, that in the summer in Helsinki the secretaries leave their offices at lunchtime and sunbathe topless in the city parks. So what you lose on the Alcoholic Murderous suicide Sibelius front you gain on the startlingly attractive blondes with their norks out.

But that was not really my question.... Books?
Clayface

Postby Drjackson » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:48 am

The sea fortress at soumenana something or other is pretty cool and had a good little museum in and a model of the 1808 Russian attack (I think)

I didn't see any topless secretaries but a Finnish brand of bread roles is called jussy pussy.
"Your assumption is that TMP's fortunes are down because of something I'm doing (or not doing). Again, that's your opinion, but there's no evidence for that."
- Editor in Chief Bill
Drjackson

Postby Clayface » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:03 am

Drjackson wrote:I didn't see any topless secretaries .

Typical Wargamer

"Dad! Dad! look at THEM!"
" Hush, lad, can't you see I am busy studying this map of the Karelia Campaign?"
Clayface

Postby Etranger2 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:45 am

Etranger2

Next

Return to Frother Book Club