Audiobooks?

Works of literature worth frothing over (or avoiding like the pox).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Audiobooks?

Postby geronimo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:16 pm

I've almost finished the Joe Abercrombie audiobooks (based on Duff's recommendation, seriously good versions of the books, Steven Pacey's brilliant) and I'm looking for new listening prOn. Done all of the obvious stuff like Stephen King, LOTR, Lovecraft. Read reviews of the Game of Thrones audios and they're mixed, tending towards poor, so....

any recommendations of particularly good listens? Subject not quite so important as great narration & characterisation....

(I'm sure we did have an audiobook thread prior to The Fall, couldn't be arsed to look TBH)
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Re: Audiobooks?

Postby anevilgiraffe » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Big Finish Who audios are cracking - not books, more like plays to be honest - the 2000ad ones they did were good as well, Dredd and Strontium Dog.

Gailbraithe wrote:I actually do know better than the dictionary.
anevilgiraffe
Associate Member

Postby Duff » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:48 pm

I tend more towards non-fiction with audiobooks, so I'd strongly recommend Steven Pinker's Better Angels of Our Nature and Bill Bryson's latest, One Summer.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Germy Bugger » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Really enjoyed the scaryfiers, reboot of Blakes 7 wasn't bad. As mentioned I'm more into audio plays than straight reads.

Got the dirk gently audio plays for Christmas they were quite good.
Germy Bugger

Postby mr tough guy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:42 pm

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline as read by Will Wheaton, great book and well read, extra points for Will Wheaton actually being mentioned in the book

also not really a book but more of a play is Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, great cast, cool story

and for non fiction Dan Carlin's Hardcore History series, maybe not really audiobooks, but a bit more than a podcast, somewhere in between really
http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh

and if you like Denis Leary, there's his book Why you Suck, read by himself
Image Image
mr tough guy

Postby anevilgiraffe » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:12 pm

I had Redshirts read by Wheaton and it was a struggle, he made no attempt to differentiate voices, which you need in a audio book in my opinion...

the Game of Thrones audios by Roy Dotrice are supposed to be the best for that reason, he really goes to town with voices by all accounts...

back to audios - Elvenquest is a really fun piss take of fantasy books, on 3 series now I think, well worth a listen, as is Nebulous, Mark Gatiss and the guy behind Ideal do Quatermass and Doomwatch essentially - again funny, they have great fun with organisations names.

There is also a very good one off play called Vincent Price and the Horror of the English Blood Beast - straight play about the making of Witchfinder General, well worth a listen.

Gailbraithe wrote:I actually do know better than the dictionary.
anevilgiraffe
Associate Member

Postby mr tough guy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:24 pm

anevilgiraffe wrote:I had Redshirts read by Wheaton and it was a struggle, he made no attempt to differentiate voices, which you need in a audio book in my opinion...

Have not heard any other audiobooks by wheaton, but had no problems with Ready player One, think he did a great job, he didn't try to do any voices or anything, but it's always clear who is saying what, at least I thought it was.
Image Image
mr tough guy

Postby agent_pumpkin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:20 pm

The Big Finish Audio stuff is great, perfect to paint along to. In particular I can highly recommend Master, Davros and Omega from the Dr.Who range.

The Blakes 7 stuff is on my WANT list. :)
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.
agent_pumpkin

Postby Ramshackle_Curtis » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:55 pm

"Top 100 Sci-Fi Audiobooks" is really good

http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=42779
"Opinions are like arse holes, we all have one but no one wants to hear it"

http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/newrel.html
Ramshackle_Curtis

Postby UrbanWulf » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:22 am

World War Z is great (no relation to the shit film with same name)if you like zombies and disaster and such.
Stuttering guns pounding ever nearer
Pounding faster than a heart in fever
UrbanWulf

Next

Return to Frother Book Club