Space Captain Smith

Works of literature worth frothing over (or avoiding like the pox).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Space Captain Smith

Postby dhauser » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:19 pm

I just finished Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith) by Toby Frost.

This was a very funny book, I found myself laughing out loud many times throughout the story. It is a very easy read with loads of inside pop culture jokes and a reasonably good story to hold the jokes together.

I found my self wondering who would play the various parts in this book if it was ever to be made into a movie. I really do believe it would play very well on the big screen.

I have book number 2 ready to start tonight and I am looking forward to the further adventures of Isambard Smith a Space Captain of the British Empire.
Chickens got livers? I'm gettin' some!
dhauser

Re: Space Captain Smith

Postby Germy Bugger » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:49 pm

It had its moments but not enough for me to pick up the second one. Not much originality in it just going for obvious laughs.
Germy Bugger

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Germy Bugger wrote:It had its moments but not enough for me to pick up the second one. Not much originality in it just going for obvious laughs.

Nah, you're thinking of Terry Pratchet - his books are nowhere near as clever as you think Pratchet thinks they are. Although the worse thing, by far, about Practhet's novels are his fans.
An Absent Humphrey

Postby --- » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:35 pm

An Alert Humphrey wrote:Nah, you're thinking of Terry Pratchet - his books are nowhere near as clever as you think Pratchet thinks they are. Although the worse thing, by far, about Practhet's novels are his fans.

QFT
---
Committee Member

Postby Blackie's Left Boot » Wed May 07, 2014 8:24 am

Germy Bugger wrote:It had its moments but not enough for me to pick up the second one. Not much originality in it just going for obvious laughs.

Aye, this. Bought it on the strength of a previous (pre-apoc) thread here, and was pretty disappointed. :|
I froth and I vote.
Blackie's Left Boot

Postby Steders » Thu May 08, 2014 11:15 am

Dags wrote:
An Alert Humphrey wrote:Nah, you're thinking of Terry Pratchet - his books are nowhere near as clever as you think Pratchet thinks they are. Although the worse thing, by far, about Practhet's novels are his fans.

QFT

Agreed, I read the first three and was left scratching my head as to what the fuss was about.
Written for fat cat stroking loners who think wearing a hat means they have a personality
Steders

Postby Duff » Thu May 08, 2014 5:02 pm

The earliest Pratchett's were straight pastiches of Fantasy, whether RPG, movies or books, so weren't very original or that funny. He didn't really start getting into his stride until Mort and Equal Rites. His books are no-more formulaic than say Cornwell's, but have a lot more depth, with some brilliant little observational comedy moments. He's also occasionally capable of some really concise, insightful sentences which are a joy to read. I re-read Good Omens recently and it still stands up.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Steders » Thu May 08, 2014 6:21 pm

Duff wrote:how dare you steders!!?you don't understand what a genius pratchett is! No he doesn't does he Felix. Has anyone seen my hat?
Steders

Postby Duff » Thu May 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Leave Felix out of this! :argue:

And where did you hide my hat, you bastard.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Citizen Sade » Fri May 09, 2014 1:00 pm

Duff wrote:I re-read Good Omens recently and it still stands up.

Yes, but who deserves the lion's share of the credit for this, Pratchett or Gaiman?
Citizen Sade

Next

Return to Frother Book Club