The Broken Empire (Mark Lawrence)

Works of literature worth frothing over (or avoiding like the pox).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

The Broken Empire (Mark Lawrence)

Postby Bowen » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:38 pm

After A Game Of Thrones I looked around for other fantasy books that were recommended or similar. I found The Broken Empire series, 3 books (Prince Of Thorns, King Of Thorns, Emperor Of Thorns)

When he was nine, he watched as his mother and brother were killed before him. At thirteen, he led a band of bloodthirsty thugs. By fifteen, he intends to be king...

It's time for Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath to return to the castle he turned his back on, to take what's rightfully his. Since the day he hung pinned on the thorns of a briar patch and watched Count Renar's men slaughter his mother and young brother, Jorg has been driven to vent his rage. Life and death are no more than a game to him--and he has nothing left to lose. But treachery awaits him in his father's castle. Treachery and dark magic. No matter how fierce his will, can one young man conquer enemies with power beyond his imagining?

I finished the first book quickly, Purchased the second straight away and only a few chapters remaining of that. I also picked up The Riyria Revelations series (Michael J.Sullivan), The Blade Itself (Joe Abercrombie) and the first book in the Raven's shadow series (Anthony Ryan).
Bowen

Re: The Broken Empire (Mark Lawrence)

Postby Clayface » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:58 am

"Since the day he hung pinned on the thorns of a briar patch and watched Count Renar's men slaughter his mother and young brother, Jorg has been driven to vent his rage. Sadly he never got the chance as, sensibly, Count Renar's men slaughtered him next."

Pat
Clayface

Postby Blackie's Left Boot » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:49 am

Bowen wrote:After A Game Of Thrones... The Blade Itself (Joe Abercrombie).

Now you're talking. 8)
I froth and I vote.
Blackie's Left Boot

Postby Phil_Gray » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:04 pm

The Blade itself is excellent material, a clear antidote to saccharine fantasy elsewhere.
Phil_Gray

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Blackie's Left Boot wrote:
Bowen wrote:After A Game Of Thrones... The Blade Itself (Joe Abercrombie).

Now you're talking. 8)

Yep, not read a bad thing by him yet. Stonkingly good stuff
Frothers: "Nerd culture baseball bat to the face !" (the Badsmile 18/4/12)
Badger Loving Fluffster
Associate Member

Postby UrbanWulf » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:58 am

Sane Max wrote:"Since the day he hung pinned on the thorns of a briar patch and watched Count Renar's men slaughter his mother and young brother, Jorg has been driven to vent his rage. Sadly he never got the chance as, sensibly, Count Renar's men slaughtered him next."

Pat

Yeah, villains (and minions) in these sorts of novels never seem to have the common sense to finish off anybody who might have a vendetta against them in the future... "you killed my mother, prepare to die etc.)
Stuttering guns pounding ever nearer
Pounding faster than a heart in fever
UrbanWulf

Postby alastairj » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:49 pm

I bought this by accident (I blame fat thumbs) on my Kindle...much better than I'd expected. Definitely agree about Joe Abercrombie...his latest is very good too.
alastairj

Return to Frother Book Club