Joe Abercrombie

Works of literature worth frothing over (or avoiding like the pox).

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Postby Duff » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 am

Uthalin is waiting wrote:Thought they were good , a bit two dimensional . Better than the rest of the newish crop though .
Uth

:shock: I thought they were the first fantasy I'd read in years with some actual depth. Abercrombies stuff works on multiple layers for me. You have the strict adherence to the standard fantasy characters and tropes; powerful old wizard, heroic prince, mercenary, heroine, crippled bad guy, quest to find the magic weapon that will defeat the hordes of the all powerful big nasty etc, and then turns them all entirely on their head (I won't go into too much detail as I don't want to post too many spoilers for those who haven't read them). His cast are all believable and unique to themselves, with brilliantly sketched secondary characters. I could go into the nihilism and themes of the great press of humanity having almost no control over their lives, how we are all slaves to our urges and temperament but I'd be back in spoiler territory, so i'll leave off.

He also came up with possibly my favourite character in any fantasy/sci fi book with Sand dan Glokta.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Hastati » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Finished Book 3 last night. Overall, I very much enjoyed the series. I dont' think books 2 and 3 quite lived up to the first book. Some of the things in book 3 were just a bit too telegraphed for my taste. Still, cracking stuff for the most part and well worth the investment in time and money to read.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Mr Ed » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Me too - bleak in places. Twists varied from very good to visible a mile off.
Confusius he say 'War not sort out who right, war sort out who left...'
Mr Ed

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Mr Ed wrote:Me too - bleak in places. Twists varied from very good to visible a mile off.

If you're talking about "Best Served Cold" then the one it starts with is pretty good :shock:
Frothers: "Nerd culture baseball bat to the face !" (the Badsmile 18/4/12)
Badger Loving Fluffster
Associate Member

Postby Duff » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Just finished Heroes. Really enjoyed it, though I'd of liked to have seen more of The Dogman. Some great new characters, tip top battles and a few laugh out loud bits of dialogue.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby Mr Ed » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 am

Badger Loving Fluffster wrote:
Mr Ed wrote:Me too - bleak in places. Twists varied from very good to visible a mile off.

If you're talking about "Best Served Cold" then the one it starts with is pretty good :shock:

I was referring to the Trilogy, but you're right about the start of Best Served Cold. Again, some of the twists in BSC are pretty obvious, but generally they're good enough ones that you don't begrudge them even if you work them out. The anyone can die aspect livens things up a lot.
Confusius he say 'War not sort out who right, war sort out who left...'
Mr Ed

Postby geronimo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:05 am

Just finished Best Served Cold, still good stuff but I have to admit it didn't grab me quite so much as the original trilogy...
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby blackfly » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:46 pm

geronimo wrote:Just finished Best Served Cold, still good stuff but I have to admit it didn't grab me quite so much as the original trilogy...

Me either. I liked it early on, and I liked the additional depth you got to Vitari, but overall I found the new city, new target, new assasination method trope kind of tedious by the end.

I'm happy I read it for the background it provided to Heroes though, which I liked quite a bit, and a lot more than Best Served Cold. And I agree with Roy, I wished there was more of the Dogman in Heroes, but in a way, he's written as a somewhat simpler, and easily likable supporting character, and maybe that's best because you need a few of those amid Abercrombie's assemblages of ne'er do wells. ;)
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql5.sock' (111) [2002]

"There should be a special term for people who join TMP* in order to complain about something** in their first post(s)." -AECurtis (RIP)

*FUUK
**TMP
blackfly
Associate Member

Postby geronimo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:58 am

Duff wrote:Just finished Heroes. Really enjoyed it, though I'd of liked to have seen more of The Dogman. Some great new characters, tip top battles and a few laugh out loud bits of dialogue.

Finished it a couple of weeks back, thought it was the best of the five for me. Easily the one most crying out for a film adaptation.
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Ar-Pharazon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:16 pm

I got 5 cheap from WS Smith (buy one get one 1/2 price)

Enjoyed Heroes, starting "Best Served Cold" (yeah, I know it's wrong order)

Enjoyable, nice touches. Just wee things like the dozens and the Named Men, some hint of a different culture
--
Down with Valar oppression!
Ar-Pharazon

PreviousNext

Return to Frother Book Club