Grainy Primer Problems

The place for straight-talking on painting techniques, supplies, and other mini-painting topics. Link to your paintjobs here, if you want to know what we *really* think!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Grainy Primer Problems

Postby Australian Dawn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:39 pm

I've been priming Minis with corax white citadel spray and most of the time I get minis that look fuzzy and grainy, I've spent days spraying and scrubbing and spraying again over and over, I googled the problem and the most likely cause seems to be the weather but where I live it's always hot and sticky so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on avoiding the problem?

Thanks for any advice.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Re: Grainy Primer Problems

Postby Voice From Limbo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:56 pm

Yeah, sounds like a humidity problem. Unless you just got a bad can.

But you may have to switch to a brush-on primer.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:55 am

I often wonder how people over in Britain can paint minis at all with their drizzly weather, but I suppose Citadel paints are made with British conditions in mind with other companies following suit and all the rest of us just have to put up with products not suited to any environment but a cold, damp, foggy island.
Discrimination I call it. :evil:
Australian Dawn

Postby Inso » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:25 am

Humidity is the issue, really... rather than precipitation. It doesn't rain ALL the time over here ;) ...
Have a look at my blog, it's really full of things: http://insosworld.blogspot.com/

Or, you could always learn about the world of Reptiliad: http://reptiliad.blogspot.co.uk/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/
Inso

Postby jumpin jack » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Australian Dawn wrote:I often wonder how people over in Britain can paint minis at all with their drizzly weather, but I suppose Citadel paints are made with British conditions in mind with other companies following suit and all the rest of us just have to put up with products not suited to any environment but a cold, damp, foggy island.
Discrimination I call it. :evil:

They do it just to piss you off, you whinging Ozzie twat.:)

I use Halford's automotive primer. Never had a problem.

...and anticipating the next moan. Testor's Dullcote. Never had a problem with that either.
jumpin jack

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:26 am

Thanks for the recommendations. :beer:
If I can't get the corax white working in a few more attempts I'll look into the automotive primer.
Australian Dawn

Postby Wirrakee » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:40 am

I've never had a good experience using the evil empires spray on primers - always grainy, always clogged nozzles never lasted very long didn't seem to matter what the humidity was or what time of year (tried using 3 different cans in three different cities from three different sellers Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane) - eventually gave up and use "Fiddly Bits" grey primer 250g - gives a nice matte mid-grey even coat non grainy no clogged nozzles and lasts for ever. Available ~$5AU from Bunnings and some times cheaper from discount stores.
Wirrakee

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:56 am

Thanks, it's always nice to have more options. :beer:
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:39 am

Unbelievably it seems Citadel don't even have a pot version of Corax white, I've spent the day being told by hobby shop attendants that Ceramite white is a match for it. WTF? Are they blind, or is it me?
Corax is a much greyer shade than Ceramite IMHO, I highlighted up from Corax to Cerimite, and now I want to touch up the Corax areas, and They don't even sell Corax in a pot! How could Citadel not see the logic of selling pots of their spray paint colours for this purpose? Do the Hobby shop attendants really believe these colours match? Or are they just desperate to sell me the wrong paint and piss me off and lose a customer? Some seem to think all whites are the same from what I can tell. These shop's display cases are full of miniatures painted a hundred times better than I could ever dream of painting, did the hobbyists who painted those figures think any old shade of white was the same as any other? Why do they sell so many shades of white if it's all the bloody same?! :argue: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :evil:

And the GW shop, no prices on anything (obviously if the price is a consideration The Hobby (tm) is not the hobby for you), the paints and brushes are hidden away along the back wall behind the counter where you can't even have a look at them, with the store attendant standing guard over them like they were the crown jewels and looking down his nose at you like you're some grubby hobo wandered in from a methadone clinic down the street and likely going to try and make off with them the moment his back's turned.

The whole experience gave me a new appreciation of the high level of service and the warmth and friendly atmosphere of webstore shopping carts.
Australian Dawn

Postby Voice From Limbo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:36 pm

the GW shop

Ah, I think I see where you made your first error. . .
Voice From Limbo

Next

Return to Painters Unite! UK Forum