Masters of the Universe

The place for straight-talking on painting techniques, supplies, and other mini-painting topics. Link to your paintjobs here, if you want to know what we *really* think!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Masters of the Universe

Postby White Knight » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:08 am

And to get really obscure, a Takdryl will be in the works. ;)
White Knight
Committee Member

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:59 pm

I had to Google it. :oops:
My childhood self would be very ashamed of me, I used to love the show and have heaps of the toys.
(I was smart enough to write my name on the feet so the other kids couldn't pinch them and pass them off as their own though!)
It's a shame they don't make shows for kids as nonsensically creative as that any more.
Too busy trying to be cool to be really creative I think, I blame ninja turtles. :evil:
He-Man's still having an effect on adult entertainment though I'd say, Some of the early art for Immortan Joe from Fury Road has a very Skeletory look to it I think. I'm glad they went in a different direction but it just goes to show how much this show has warped people's minds, in a good way of course. :)
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:17 am

Have you seen the new incarnation of She-Ra? Your thread made me nostalgic so I googled it, boy have they changed things! :shock:
Hordak's got sexy Hitler hair now, and his snout looks suspiciously toothbrush moustache like... And I thought the 80s cartoons lacked subtlety! :shock:

But I'm sure you could convert a modern style Emo-Hitler-Hordak (hairdak? Herrdak?) with a bit of greenstuff. Not sure about the rest of the cast though!

At least you have plenty of options!
Australian Dawn

Postby White Knight » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:23 pm

I have seen enough of it to know I want no part of it. For me it is about the designs of my childhood, so modern reimaginings are not my cup of tea. This being said, I do approve a new generation gets their own version of the universe, so I’m not dissing it like many fans tend to do.
White Knight
Committee Member

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Understandable. IMHO the old designs were better anyway, screw the new generation. :)
Australian Dawn

Postby Voice From Limbo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Has the new movie project been mentioned here yet?

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.denofgee ... rse-reboot
Voice From Limbo

Postby White Knight » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:02 pm

I've heard of it, but there is very little concrete yet. We'll see how it goes, but it won't influence the direction of this minis project.
White Knight
Committee Member

Postby Voice From Limbo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:25 pm

As it should be.

I think I said somewhere here that the whole thing bypassed me completely -- I may not even have had a TV when the original show was on, so I have no emotional/nostalgic attachment to the project. I'm sure it would have more meaning if I did, but to be honest, the reason I'm following this is the fantastic work you're doing.

Keep it up! :beer:
Voice From Limbo

Postby Voice From Limbo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:33 pm

For what it's worth, this is coming out on DVD:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/movieweb.c ... ease-date/
Voice From Limbo

Postby White Knight » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:21 pm

I should give that a watch at some point.

Eternia Scenery - Evil Spirits Well

Today's update adds another piece of Scenery to the Eternian landscape in the form of a magical Well of Evil Spirits. It is said he who harnesses the power of the evil spirits within the well can conquer Eternia itself... if he's willing to pay the price. For you see, many of the souls trapped within once belonged to those who thought they could master its powers and failed...

At last, my imbecile lackey, with the power that lies within this Well, Greyskull will fall into my hands.

There is no Well of Evil Spirits in MOTU lore, at leas tnot that I know of, but I think the model fits right in. It is a single part of a plastic Games Workshop terrain kit that I picked up from a bits seller on ebay a few years ago, thinking it would work great as a standalone piece. When I started this MOTU project, I figured it would look great for Eternia. I tried to paint it in a way that would be reminiscent of the colours you would encounter in Eternian rocks and ruins in the Filmation cartoon. I think it works rather well.

A bird's eye view of the well and the spirits trapped within.

An action scene, with evil overlords battling for controle of the Well:

You are too late, Hordak, the power of the Well is mine!
White Knight
Committee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Painters Unite! UK Forum