Masters of the Universe

The place for straight-talking on painting techniques, supplies, and other mini-painting topics. Link to your paintjobs here, if you want to know what we *really* think!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Masters of the Universe

Postby White Knight » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Thanks, I'm quite enjoying these. Here is the last one for a while, until I find another window to get some painting done.

Anti-Eternians - Anti-Goddess
If Anti-Eternia is the opposite of regular Eternia, then it stands to reason that its Goddess has also been tainted by the same evil. Being more brutal in nature, she fights with a mace, ready to bash in skulls, rather than to carry the snake staff.

Anti-Eternia Goddess

There isn't really any precedent for this character (that I'm aware of), so her colour scheme was made up, using the usual Anti-Eternia palette and trying to go by what makes sense and gives the best contrast. As the regular version already wears a (dark) red snake collar, I decided to do the collar in the grey colour and work out the rest from there. I think the end result is pretty good.

The model is another old Grenadier mini from the 1980s. It's interesting that Grenadier made multiple poses of the same characters and it helps to further differentiate between the good and bad Goddess, although having duplicate models in different colour schemes doesn't bother me in this project, since it's a nod to the heavy reuse of parts and recoloured characters in the MOTU universe and toy line.

Anti-Eternia and Eternia Goddess

What sorcery is this? You are not the Goddess!

The Anti-Eternians so far (not including Man-At-Arms in Windraider)
White Knight
Committee Member

Postby White Knight » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:07 pm

Aroo - The guardian of the City of the Ancients

Only appearing in the episode "Masks of Power", Aroo is a giant demonic blue gorilla-like beast, who was in charge of guarding the said masks in the lost City of the Ancients. He-Man and Man-At-Arms barely escaped with their lives when they encountered him and while the masks were taken, Aroo was just too strong to defeat, even for He-Man.

The giant, apelike Aroo

My version of Aroo is not full size, he'd need to be about 2,5 times the size, which would just make him look out of place on the table and impossible to work into a scenario where you could fight him and win. So, I settled for a more practical size, which still puts hem at around 115mm tall, on an 80mm base. As he's based on an Eaglemoss figure of Grudd, skillfully converted by the talented John Pickford, he's also made of lead, so weighs a heavy 700g. Painting him was not so easy due to the added weight.

Aroo in the original episode

For size with Skeletor, who's hoping to control him, but may have bitten off more than those weathered teeth can chew

A comparison with the original figure. The Grudd figure is actually pretty close already if you don't care for an exact match. The only really required changes would be replacing the hair with a skullcap with horns and pointy ears poking out, adding a devilish tail and filling in the G to be a circle. As I wanted to get as close as possible, John also changed the mouth, necklace, armbands and wrist guards, belt, loincloth, and added claws to the fingers and feet, as well as turning the oversized skull into a rock.

White Knight
Committee Member

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:55 pm

That is impressive work.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:17 pm

Amazing work! 8)
It's nice to see someone with so much enthusiasm, you must be a real He-Man fan!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Indeed. I have to say I admire (and envy!) such dedication to a project.

In celebration, let's sing along with the original He-song:

https://youtu.be/FR7wOGyAzpw

15 years old now!
Voice From Limbo

Postby White Knight » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:52 am

I was a great fan as a kid. Then some jerk stole some of my figures and accessories, so I packed them away and never looked at them again. The fire was rekindled a few years ago though and I replaced the missing toys to set that right.
White Knight
Committee Member

Postby Voice From Limbo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:21 pm

You didn't name the jerk, but we all know who it was:

Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:01 am

White Knight wrote:I was a great fan as a kid. Then some jerk stole some of my figures and accessories, so I packed them away and never looked at them again. The fire was rekindled a few years ago though and I replaced the missing toys to set that right.

And now you're going a step further and having amazing minis sculpted of obscure characters!
And your paint jobs are great too, they really capture the style of the show.
Are you doing snake men as a separate faction? King Hiss, etc?
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:54 am

Never mind, looking back over the thread I see you are going to have them as a separate faction.
I should have known.
If I want to catch you out I'll have to think of something more obscure, Dragoon from Trolla? Plundor the rabbit man?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby White Knight » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:04 am

I do plan to do a Plundor. I’d like to do Dragoon but haven’t found a suitable mini yet.
White Knight
Committee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Painters Unite! UK Forum