Spider-Man: Far From Good

Discussion of cinematic genius and disaster past and present, with a twist of froth.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Spider-Man: Far From Good

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Damn I'm sick of all the sad attempts at humour in the Marvel movies, I just watched Spider-Man: Far From Home, and couldn't believe how often they destroyed my suspension of disbelief for the sake of a lame gag that didn't even raise a chuckle.
The whole Marvel cinematic universe seems intent on becoming a parody of itself.

And remember when Peter Parker had real problems? An aging widowed aunt and bills to pay? A secret identity to keep even from those closest to him, at least in the early years?

Now we seem to have traded all those iconic story elements for over the top special effects and groan worthy jokes. :x
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Re: Spider-Man: Far From Good

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:11 pm

furthermore {spoilers} The whole Peter=Tony Stark's chosen successor vs. uppity working stiffs motif they seem to be going with in the current Spidey series seems really out of wack to me.
First Vulture and now the villains of this show, if we didn't have all the Tony Stark's heir garbage and Peter was his usual hard up self struggling to make both ends of the web meet it probably wouldn't seem so jarring, just selecting the villain to suit the hero, but as is you'd think the producers had an axe to grind.
This Spider-man seems like a real Frankenstein's monster, part Shield agent, part Avenger and part Iron Man, never allowed to be his own thing and the Marvel Cinematic Universe seems poorer for it if you ask me.
Australian Dawn

Postby Bronshtein » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 am

Timelines and rewritten characters are the bane of American Comics/Graphic novels.
I read a lot of DC Comics in the 60s only to find later on that authors/artists/accountants had got bored with the characters and plot lines as established (understandable if you need to keep flogging comics to kids decades after the original heroes had appeared) and taken origin stories off on weird twists and invented odd time jumps and sunfry bollocks to try and keep things kosher.

Marvel - I never did understand but as they too have needed to keep up with changing society and profit lines with feeding the various film franchises there is no logic at all to them. (There may be but please don't bother explaining I'll only fall asleep).

My daughter liked Spiderman about ten years ago but the changes have made her abandon any allegiance to even the cutest guys in spandex.
Bronshtein

Postby Australian Dawn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:33 pm

It's a shame creator owned comic book characters haven't been able to compete in popularity with the DC/Marvel owned ones, presumably the creators would be less willing to allow their characters to be bastardised for a quick buck, but maybe I'm just kidding myself, not everyone is as obsessed with fidelity to their original work as Allan Moore after all.
It makes me wonder if comic characters could ever be as long lasting in influence as the nearest equivalent characters from novels, what with comic book publishers attitude of chopping and changing, but then the chopping and changing probably allows the main comic book publishers to claim almost anything as their IP, there's bound to be a comic somewhere in their back catalogue that covers any possible permutation of superhero tropes.
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Bronshtein wrote:Timelines and rewritten characters are the bane of American Comics/Graphic novels.

Thinking about what you said here and Alan Moore's hatred of having his work adulterated maybe it really is a national thing, do British comics change there characters backstories?
All I really read these days is Giantsize Phantom, so old Phantom reprints and Aussie characters, so I'm not really in the comic book loop.
Back in those days they recapped the fundamentals of the characters origin on the title page of almost every comic from what I can tell, like the opening credits of a TV series, it keeps everything straight and the stories stay iconic IMHO. but then I'm not a fan of the highly decompressed modern comics.
Australian Dawn

Return to Movie Zone