Tolkien

Discussion of cinematic genius and disaster past and present, with a twist of froth.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Tolkien

Postby Australian Dawn » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:10 am

Anyone seen the Tolkien movie? Is it worth a watch?
I'm pretty cynical, so considering how he's been raised higher and higher in peoples estimations as an author throughout my lifetime to near godhood, I'm concerned the movie might be cringe-worthy, romanticised, hero-worship drivel. I'm sort of hoping they include him running around oxford in a sheepskin yelling at people in old Norse but it looks from the adds they are casting him as a character like Frodo in the Fellowship (they keep saying it's about fellowship, do they mean the Inklings? his fellow soldiers in the war? or is this just a crude attempt to tie his life directly in to the story in his books?).

So how is it?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Re: Tolkien

Postby Voice From Limbo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:20 pm

I didn’t see it. Looks like no one else here has, either. :wry:

It came in for some pretty heavy criticism, for various reasons. One of the blurbs called his group "outcasts", which has never been my impression.

I'll pick it up at Wallyworld sometime.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Macunaima nli » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:57 am

Saw it yesterday. Meh. It’s another British Edwardian class drama. Think of it as a male version of Vera Britain and you won’t be far off.
Macunaima nli

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:05 am

There has to be more interesting fantasy authors to make a movie about, Tolkien really is a strange choice when you think about it, he certainly seemed dull from the interviews I've heard. Maybe the resent 100 year ww1 anniversary had something to do with the choice.
Sounds like I'll give it a miss.
Australian Dawn

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:24 pm

I'd say the money raked in by the LOTR and Hobbit films had more to do with it. :D

Let's face it -- most writers lead pretty dull personal lives -- unless the prospect of watching someone sitting at a desk sounds exciting. The "life" happens mostly in the mind.

Tolkien's life, post-Somme, was as a professor, not what most would consider boiling with glamorous adventure -- except possibly to other professors. I'd point out, however, that his Oxford lectures were always packed, which says something. Though he developed a tendency to mumble, in his later years -- and recorded interviews are almost all from his later years.

Anyway, as for other fantasy writers, Talbot Mundy would be a good choice -- if anyone remembered him. They wouldn't even have to fictionalize it, as he did that himself. IIRC one of the things he claimed to have done is take a walk up the west coast of Australia solo.

But his actual life crammed enough stuff in to make seveal movies.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:11 pm

I'd never heard of Mundy, from Wikipedia it sounds like he's one of the unsung heroes of modern fiction. certainly his life sounds more deserving of a movie than Tolkien's.
It's a shame that a few writers get the lions share of credit while many others just as or more deserving are forgotten by society.
(I often think mythbusters should look into some modern myths giving credit to one author or another for an idea and point out how often the person getting credit is merely the one with the loudest current fan base and not the true innovator, and the same could be said of inventors and the like. We get a very cock eyed view of things when we give credit to a chosen few heroes like Tolkien and ignore so many others who don't have a multitude of worshipers pushing their barrow. I don't believe history is written by the victors as much as it's written by the fanboys, just look at any Napoleonics discussion over on TMP! :shock: )
But as far as personal lives of authors go I suppose there are as many interesting people writing as there are in any profession, I doubt that has any direct correlation with the quality of their work though.
Writers lives seem like they'd make better subjects for documentaries, where their ideas and influences can be explored, than they'd make for movies, but I'm sure there are exceptions.
Australian Dawn

Return to Movie Zone