Fu Manchu's son to be Marvel movie hero.

Discussion of cinematic genius and disaster past and present, with a twist of froth.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Fu Manchu's son to be Marvel movie hero.

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:15 am

Chinese not impressed:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society ... ero-origin

Spectacular own goal by marvel, it's not like anyone could have foreseen this being an issue right? It's not like Fu Manchu is the poster boy for yellow peril or anything. :roll: :lol:
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Re: Fu Manchu's son to be Marvel movie hero.

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:48 pm

I never read any of the original comics, but they seem to have picked up, after a rocky start.

Some back story, and a possibly hopeful sign:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollyw ... st-1194673
Voice From Limbo

Re: Fu Manchu's son to be Marvel movie hero.

Postby Australian Dawn NLI » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:31 am

Modern "creators" sure do like to pour scorn on the people who actually created the properties they are milking. They could always go out and create a new property and see if they sink or swim on their own.

I mean who's worse, the people who create a politically incorrect property years ago or the people who dredge it up years latter to exploit, with decades of hind site and in a much more PC age?

The implied criticism of Stan Lee liking the "generic [Asian] face" seems a bit harsh, he liked the face as drawn, did he even know it was meant as a placeholder? Does it really matter? Everyman characters anyone could project themselves into were pretty much his thing, he thought Spidey was great because his completely covered face and body let anyone project themselves into the suit, seeing his choosing of that face as somehow negative seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Being this critical of the source material will open them up to some pretty scathing criticism if they screw this up, they went in fully knowing the mess they were walking into and betting they could turn it around, they'd better deliver.
Australian Dawn NLI

Return to Movie Zone