Star Trek: Beyond

Discussion of cinematic genius and disaster past and present, with a twist of froth.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Star Trek: Beyond

Postby Clayface » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Saw it this weekend with my tearful daughter.

It was much better than the second one, not as good as the first. I enjoyed the subtle shout-outs and in jokes but there were a few too many of them.

There was one terrible mis-step for a non-trekkie. There is a scene where Spock finds out Spock is dead, and goes through his posessions and looks sadly at a picture of him, standing with the rest of the crew - the fat elderly crew from the 'The Undiscovered Country' era. I was meant to feel all shmaltzy I imagine - but it jerked me out of suspension of disbelief as I saw a glossy pic of the (fat elderly) cast of a completely different show. One of the things the reboot did IMHO was cast actors looked and felt right. This just reminded me how very, very unlikely it was that Simon Pegg was going to grow up to look like a Fat James Doohan. Podgy Uhura was rather like that time you meet your new hot girlfriend's mum and realise your sexy GF is one day gonna look.... not like Zoe Saldana.
Clayface

Re: Star Trek: Beyond

Postby SaigonSaddler » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:02 pm

I thought it was pretty average. The start and the end saved it a little, but the middle was self-grandising bullshit and unbelievable gash.

The end seemed tacked on and much better.

C++
Walsall FC - Pride of the Midlands!
SaigonSaddler

Postby SpaceCudet » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:36 am

Went yesterday with the family. I'd give a full review but I dozed through much of it so it didn't seem to make much sense. Must have annoyed the people around us having my 5yo son keep shouting "Wake up daddy!" though.

What I did see just seemed to be plot by checklist. What really confused me it that there only seemed to be parking for a few dozen "insect" ships while the in the swarm there were billions. Also, the winning tactic seemed a bit "Independence Day" and, well, shit.

C++ is a bit generous I'd say.
"We do have some nice archaeology but that's fuck all use when you have an anal prolapse." Rev Nice
SpaceCudet

Postby Clayface » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:44 pm

SpaceCudet wrote:C++ is a bit generous I'd say.

I wasn't expecting 'Solaris' and so I was not disappointed. The Plot was no better, and no worse, than that of many of TOS. Remember 'Star Trek: The Slow Motion Picture?'

Yes, the winning tactic was shit. So were most of the winning tactics in TOS.

(Dammit, the ship's computer has taken over)
'Computer, work out Pi to a precise number'
'No, that's stupid, can't be done.. Plus why should I suddenly start doing what you ask?'

(Dammit, the sexy aliens have us trapped)
'Sexy Alien, may I kiss you?'
'no, you are alien and thus repulsive, and I have no clitoris or other erogenous zones, if you were the type that could find them anyway am i right ladies? eh?'

(Dammit, aliens!)
'Jim, I have detected a complete lack of common salt in its body!'
'Of course - someone get me....... a bag of fish and chips!'
Clayface

Postby SpaceCudet » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:11 pm

Clayface wrote:
SpaceCudet wrote:C++ is a bit generous I'd say.

I wasn't expecting 'Solaris' and so I was not disappointed. The Plot was no better, and no worse, than that of many of TOS. Remember 'Star Trek: The Slow Motion Picture?'

But you'd think that they'd have had enough practice after nearly 40 years to be able to do it better.

I actually liked The Motion Picture. At least you can't say that the plot was sacrificed on the alter of more action.

The problem, I feel, is that these films have too much action, too much going on. In Khan you've got two ships manoeuvring for an advantageous position which builds tension. In this (like the start of Attack of the Clones and any Mikey Bay film) there's so much going on visually that my ageing brain can't take it all in and so decides not to care about what's happening.

At least the defector dish was destroyed early so it couldn't be reconfigured to solve the problem.
"We do have some nice archaeology but that's fuck all use when you have an anal prolapse." Rev Nice
SpaceCudet

Return to Movie Zone