'71

Discussion of cinematic genius and disaster past and present, with a twist of froth.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: '71

Postby Bronshtein » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:05 pm

And a nice montage of film from various eras with the Wolfe Tones droning on about Armoured Cars and Tanks and guns in the background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJW7nx_6460
Bronshtein

Postby The Jim Jones Cocktail Hour » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:02 pm

You cunt! The Tuneless Wolfe's are essentially the worse aspect of the whole conflict. The completely unnecessary globalisation of a petty, sectarian squabble into every fucking bar with some sort of plastic paddy population. Our local outpost, The County Albania as we used to call it (only Irish Pub owned by two Albanians) always made me laugh as right behind the bar there was a bottle of rum bearing the 'Cromwell' with a nice picture of our Captain-General and Protector on the label. It seems as sense of history doesn't run too deep amongst the diaspora but then as most of the actuals versus the plastics were labourers from Cork or Meath, I doubt they gave a fuck even if they were sober enough to read the fucking label.
The Jim Jones Cocktail Hour

Postby The Jim Jones Cocktail Hour » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:03 pm

Oh and yes that's a Saracen lurking in the background, well spotted that man.

Postby kawasaki » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:54 pm

The Jim Jones Cocktail Hour wrote:You cunt! The Tuneless Wolfe's are essentially the worse aspect of the whole conflict. The completely unnecessary globalisation of a petty, sectarian squabble into every fucking bar with some sort of plastic paddy population. Our local outpost, The County Albania as we used to call it (only Irish Pub owned by two Albanians) always made me laugh as right behind the bar there was a bottle of rum bearing the 'Cromwell' with a nice picture of our Captain-General and Protector on the label. It seems as sense of history doesn't run too deep amongst the diaspora but then as most of the actuals versus the plastics were labourers from Cork or Meath, I doubt they gave a fuck even if they were sober enough to read the fucking label.

Their 1980s classic 'My Heart is in Ireland' is good for a laugh. If only to prove that we Plastics really are too thick to get the irony :)
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby The Jim Jones Cocktail Hour » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:50 am

kawasaki wrote:
Their 1980s classic 'My Heart is in Ireland' is good for a laugh. If only to prove that we Plastics really are too thick to get the irony :)

It would appear that a shit load of folk in Cork didn't get the memo either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2Dc73-xm0

It's always struck me that they hit the wrong tour bus, whoever killed the Miami Showband. Much as I deplore the history of sectarian violence in Ireland, if anyone had potted the Wolf Tones I think they would win the gratitude of untold millions world wide.

Plastics have a language all their own but it can be deciphered with a degree of patience. I've come to realise that 'My da was from Connemara and he fought for the soil' actually means 'My dad was born in Kilburn and dug the M26'.

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:25 am

Well, plasticity is a state of mind. I'm a plastic amoeba because we're all primaeval gloop if you go back far enough. But cultural identity is a construct, so good on the plastic paddies. But FFS buy Daniel O'Donnell or Dana if you must have nostalgia for something, or Phil Lynott or The Saw Doctors if you have taste but leave tone deaf nausea buckets like the Tones out of it. (If you have to have rebel songs go for The Fighting Men of Crossmaglen, or Eire Og, at least they can sing.)
Bronshtein

Postby kawasaki » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:45 pm

The Jim Jones Cocktail Hour wrote:Plastics have a language all their own but it can be deciphered with a degree of patience. I've come to realise that 'My da was from Connemara and he fought for the soil' actually means 'My dad was born in Kilburn and dug the M26'.

My da was from County Laois, and he fought in WWII**.

Now excuse me while I play 'The Wearing of the Green' on his ould fiddle. Badly.

**for the perfidious Brits, obviously
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby Bronshtein » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:00 pm

Shit! Sorry, this isn't about the film or the Troubles - although it may kick off some new ones off if he doesn't win.

You mention him once! Once! And Daniel O'Donnell appears! Now he's on Strictly Come Dancing. FFS didn't Ireland fight for Independence so they didn't have to put up with crap like this from the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/1c5aaf2c-af1c-49de-986b-cfd395515851
Or us him?
Bronshtein

Postby british_gamer » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:44 pm

I know this isn't probably the place for a discussion on the merits or otherwise of gaming this period. (Maybe I'll save it for TMP UM board).
But scored this little baby at the discount book store.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/books/dp/0711031606
british_gamer

Postby Altius » Mon May 16, 2016 12:22 am

Finally had a chance to see this movie last night on Hulu. My son and I stayed up till almost 3:00 AM watching it.

Has anyone ever tried gaming this period? I'm personally not really inclined to, but just curious. It does seem like it would present a lot of difficult situations for a skirmish game rather than simply shooting at everything that moves.

Random, tangential observation about the movie: Dublin appeared to have the ugliest wallpaper ever made. I know it was the 70s, but damn.
I'm not a bad man but in certain situations I have to ask myself - what would a bad man do?
Altius

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Zone