They are rebooting WHAAAAAT?

Discussion of cinematic genius and disaster past and present, with a twist of froth.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: They are rebooting WHAAAAAT?

Postby Clayface » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:42 pm

A Chaotic Humphrey wrote:Some Magnificent 7 trivia.
Steve McQueen was well known for his oneupmanship, and in scenes he shared with Yul Bryner he would make faces and expressions that would divert attention away from Bryner and on to himself. It's not done in an acting-like-a-twat way, but in a more actorly way, but designed to draw attention away from Bryner.
This, as you can imagine, pissed off Yul Bryner.

I heard a more detailed version where Yul, who is shorter, started preparing little mounds of dirt he could stand on it shot so he was taller than Steve, like a sort of heterosexual Tom Cruise. When Steve found out, he was going round kicking the mounds down again - so it ended up with the two of them sneaking round the set building, and kicking down, piles of dirt :D

Also allegedly the film was so huge in Russia that it is partly to blame for the 'shaven head = tough guy' thing you find in the FSU
Clayface

Postby Dags V2 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:06 pm

The version I heard was that whenever McQueen started scene stealing, Bryner would simply take off his hat....
Dags V2

Postby UrbanWulf » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:08 pm

And blind Steve with the sun shining off his head so he would trip over a small pile of dirt?
Stuttering guns pounding ever nearer
Pounding faster than a heart in fever
UrbanWulf

Postby Clayface » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:11 pm

Clayface

Postby Skipp NLI » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Sane Max wrote:Oh, and I am not a worshipper of Kurasawa at all - he does drag on. There is a scene in Throne of Blood where 'Macbethu' and 'Banqu' or whatever they are called are lost in the fog and gallop into one cloud after another. It's a handy point to go and make a brew as he will still be grimacing like a Heike Crab and galloping into and out of mist when you get back.

still a good film though
Skipp NLI

Postby Clayface » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSRpSn8Pyk

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

(it may well be good mind. but still, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)
Clayface

Postby Ramshackle_Curtis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:44 am

"Now, a classic movie they COULD reboot is '7 Samurai'.. It's a great film, but it's also a long, slow, Japanese, Black and white film with subtitles."

Er, mag 7 is a remake of 7 samurai. SO thats what they are doing, remaking 7 samurai. Also the new film looks really silly, jumping shooting nonsense. I watched mag 7 and it was ok but a bit lame really. I have watched 7 samurai several times and its just a better film. MInd you, I really like Kurasawa films.
"Opinions are like arse holes, we all have one but no one wants to hear it"

http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/newrel.html
Ramshackle_Curtis

Postby Clayface » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:54 am

Ramshackle_Curtis wrote:Er, mag 7 is a remake of 7 samurai. SO thats what they are doing, remaking 7 samurai.

:D :D :D you daft fucker.
Clayface

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:06 am

I feel your pain, Max.
Magnificent 7 is one of those films that probably doesn't need to be re-made. It pretty much did all that it was supposed to do first time round. And it did it very well indeed.
I wish film studios would invest that money on something new rather than remakes or spin-offs (decent Star Wars spin-offs excepted, of course).
I feel like a grump for saying that because film remakes are as old as film making itself and hardly nothing new. But my main point still stands - some films don't need to be remade and Magnificent 7 is one of those.
An Absent Humphrey

Postby Clayface » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:54 am

A Chaotic Humphrey wrote:I feel your pain, Max.
Magnificent 7 is one of those films that probably doesn't need to be re-made. It pretty much did all that it was supposed to do first time round. And it did it very well indeed.
I wish film studios would invest that money on something new rather than remakes or spin-offs (decent Star Wars spin-offs excepted, of course).
I feel like a grump for saying that because film remakes are as old as film making itself and hardly nothing new. But my main point still stands - some films don't need to be remade and Magnificent 7 is one of those.

I welcome remakes in general, there are very few films that last for ever. Try watching an old Bond Film without rose-tinted glasses - god they are fucking unwatchable. Also what we tolerate as an acting style changes. There are some old british B&W movies that make one wonder if humans were replaced by a different species sometime in the 40's, the actors are like aliens. But Magnificent Seven is still excellent, and I struggle to see how this can do anything but spoil it.
Clayface

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Zone