Alien; Covenant

Discussion of cinematic genius and disaster past and present, with a twist of froth.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Alien; Covenant

Postby Sane Max nli » Sat May 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Going to see a Ridley Scott movie has become something of a birthday tradition, so my loving family took me to the local kinema last night to see this.

If there is an award for 'Fan service trailer damaging audience expectations' this wins. It's really not a bad movie at all.

Minus points - a bit too long. Depends on standard Idiocy from the victims to allow the plot to work*. Far too many humans, so it's hard to know who is who and relate to them.

Plus points - I gave a shit about the outcome. Beautiful, like most Scott movies. Plot at least actually made sense. a nasty reveal that rather makes the whole Alien thing a bit... different. The not-xenomorphs were horrid. And most importantly, the fetishisation of the actual xeno was cut right down. Sure, they are nasty... but not as nasty as (someone else) is. NOT ONE stupid statement made by a so-called scientist that made me hate the scriptwriter.

I rated it.

* be fair - is there one of these types of movies that would work if the majority of the characters showed some basic common sense? 'I will check the ground floor. You search the attic Suzi, and make sure you wear a bikini. Timmy, you take your wheelchair and search the attic. We will lock all the guns here so they are safe.'
Sane Max nli

Re: Alien; Covenant

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun May 14, 2017 2:53 pm

It sounds a lot better than the last one. I'd written Alien films off after that.

Thanks for the review! :beer:
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Altius » Fri May 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Managed to talk the missus into seeing this tomorrow. :D
I'm not a bad man but in certain situations I have to ask myself - what would a bad man do?
Altius

Postby SaigonSaddler » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:15 pm

A friend's reaction:

"to anyone that reads this - never watch Alien Covenent.
Not only is it bad.....but it'll fuck with everything that's good about what you like about that world."

:x :x :x
Walsall FC - Pride of the Midlands!
SaigonSaddler

Postby Australian Dawn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:19 am

I thought it was disappointing. :(
Bringing up all that deep and meaningful shit is a recipe for disaster, how can that ever pay off and be anything but a disappointment? It's a monster movie FFS, it's not like it's going to answer great philosophical questions like why we're here and the nature of religious faith, so why pose those questions so ham-fistedly and blatantly right from the start of a movie that, really, is all about scary chest bursting aliens? :?
It should have been left as subtext if brought in at all IMHO.

Ridley Scott seems to have lost the plot. :?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Return to Movie Zone