Post Apocalyptic Frothing?

Here is where we ask YOU for your thoughts and ideas on the FU!UK content... Dead links, errors, or ideas you would like to help us develop... we'll take all suggestions to improve your online frothing experience!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Post Apocalyptic Frothing?

Postby General Paranoia » Mon May 15, 2017 10:38 am

Levied Troop wrote:
General Paranoia wrote: People move on and the style of communication changes. In general, forums of all sorts are shrinking and becoming less important. Gone are the days of busy forums, that form of internet communication is outdated..

Is it though? I can think of a few more forums that seem active and useful apart from the two you mention, what I do see is that forums split up and become smaller and more choosy about who comes in (one of the things I liked about Frothers is that it was the opposite of that - a brave experiment I thought). This doesn't seem restricted to wargaming, you should see the railway modellers factions! It's a human thing.

From what I've seen of Facebook, it does seem more limited than an Internet forum. It actually doesn't make communication easier, it makes it more ephemeral. I'm not sure I see a real advantage to being on it apart from its current fashionability. Also, I like to limit the amount of personal information unaccountable American billionaires hold about me. Difficult these days I know, still, rage against the machine and all that, eh, chaps?

As for the rest of this, yes Frothers is dead and I'm just looting the corpse for overlooked trinkets.

Facebook definitely isn't the way it's going. I think it's more to do with the trivialization of things. People seem to invest less time in single hobbies and have too much going on in their lives and work. If you can't do it on a smartphone in less than two sentences with far fewer letters than required, then it's going to die out.
"Your assumption is that TMP's fortunes are down because of something I'm doing (or not doing). Again, that's your opinion, but there's no evidence for that."
- Editor in Chief Bill
General Paranoia

Postby Bronshtein » Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 am

Yes to that.

Also - we are mostly people who have been into some form of (war)gaming for a long time (45 years - oh God! :( ) and I guess the first flush of enthusiasm has blown away.

The internet gave a lot of us oldies a boost of enthusiasm (and a chance to peddle bollocks/share our accumulated wisdom 8) ) with the younger generation, who would buy any solid gold watch for a dollar. Now they - you - are left with a platform that has had its time - it's the fucking babyboomers again. :oops:

Sorry guys/girls.
Bronshtein

Postby Levied Troop » Mon May 15, 2017 12:21 pm

No to that.

Far too broad a generalisation. You can't usefully sum up entire generations in such a casual way, or even in a tighter way, we need something a little more precise in the way of human experience and preferences to be useful.

Now, those boots look fairly new, I wonder if they'll fit?
The bats have left the bell tower, the victims have been bled
Red velvet lines the black box, Bela Lugosi's dead
Levied Troop

Postby Australian Dawn » Mon May 15, 2017 1:22 pm

mcfonz nli wrote: Where there was once good natured interactions between 'friends' there is now casual racism.
The sort of homophobia/transphobia that has been seen on here, generally is at least distasteful.

What's all this supposed to be about?
It's not the first time I've heard this sort of thing about Frothers on the web, have I missed some big incident or has everyone become super sensitive? :?

It's not like this place is (or ever has been I might add) a PC fairyland of love and acceptance, but if you take into consideration the bare minimum of moderation applied on this site, the Carry On style not very PC but hardly malicious sense of humour of some of the regulars, the rampant trolls and anonymous posting, I think minorities get no worse treatment here than they would elsewhere on the web.
In fact people here tend to call out any blatant nastiness of that sort and treat the person making the comment with the contempt they deserve from what I've seen.

From my observations Frothers' have always tried to be even handed and treat all groups equally shabbily and if these groups are getting a special mention I'd like to know why.
I must have missed something. What are they talking about?
It seems like an accusation and I'd at least like to know what Frothers is being accused of. :?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Mon May 15, 2017 4:32 pm

I've been Googleing about the net and I think it's probably mainly the Sad Cunts with No Life Thread that's ruining Frothers good average not terrible name.

It's the gift that keeps giving isn't it? :roll:

Bill must be laughing his arse off.
Australian Dawn

Postby Monkeyborg » Mon May 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Stop whining. I'm not saying you've been particularly venomous, but its not like you haven't contributed to That Thread, is it?

You see this occasionally, where posters gleefully join in the Bill baiting, but complain about the very existence of the thread afterwards. Feeling dirty? :wink:

This place has been going down the shitter since the Great Outage, predating the Bill thread. Plus the Rev jumping overboard thing.
Monkeyborg

Postby General Paranoia » Mon May 15, 2017 6:50 pm

Trying to pin it all on that thread is a bit of a jump as the place was on the way out well before that even started. Right now it's the only thing preventing Frothers from slipping into a coma.If people stopped posting there the place would be completely dead.
As for Bill, I very much doubt he feels like laughing about anything with his main means of income going down the pan thanks to his own idiocy.
"Your assumption is that TMP's fortunes are down because of something I'm doing (or not doing). Again, that's your opinion, but there's no evidence for that."
- Editor in Chief Bill
General Paranoia

Postby Australian Dawn » Mon May 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Monkeyborg wrote:Stop whining. I'm not saying you've been particularly venomous, but its not like you haven't contributed to That Thread, is it?

You see this occasionally, where posters gleefully join in the Bill baiting, but complain about the very existence of the thread afterwards. Feeling dirty? :wink:

This place has been going down the shitter since the Great Outage, predating the Bill thread. Plus the Rev jumping overboard thing.

I'm not whining and I don't regret criticising Bill*, but I don't relish being seen as a casual racist or homophobe/transphobe if that is what being a Frother is seen as indicating. And if this is in a large measure due to that thread, then I'm not exactly thrilled with it and am happy to say so.

*I don't consider it baiting, I disapprove of some of what Bill does and say so. If anything that is the whining I suppose, what people do on that thread. But why is that a bad thing, if your gripe is legitimate?
But I can also recognise and regret that that criticism, and that thread in particular it seems, seem to have come to define this site for some, and see that the harm that's probably done to Frothers seem to far outway any good our criticism is doing in curbing Bill's excesses.
Australian Dawn

Postby General Paranoia » Mon May 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Well if you hadn't abandoned Frothers for ages before waiting until it was wheezing out it's last breath on it's deathbed before coming back to preach to everyone, you might have had more influence.
Can't help feeling that if you'd really cared about the poor old thing you might have stuck by it throughout it's final years
- Editor in Chief Bill
General Paranoia

Postby Drjackson » Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Monkeyborg wrote:Stop whining. I'm not saying you've been particularly venomous, but its not like you haven't contributed to That Thread, is it?

It's like they found Jesus !
- Editor in Chief Bill
Drjackson

PreviousNext

Return to Frother Feedback Box