reflections on the new style and structure

Here is where we ask YOU for your thoughts and ideas on the FU!UK content... Dead links, errors, or ideas you would like to help us develop... we'll take all suggestions to improve your online frothing experience!

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: reflections on the new style and structure

Postby Doremi Fasol Latido » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Gi6ers wrote:...the new sections are arse

They don't seem very conducive to casual browsing to be honest, at least for me. The amount of board activity seems a bit down as well except for perhaps the Frothpot so maybe others are just not as bothered as before. I could be wrong though.

Bit like your favourite pub being refitted. It's the same mates, the same bar staff and the same beer but the atmos is different.
Doremi Fasol Latido

Postby ink the troll » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Probably some people haven't even realised that the forum's back.
sanity is for cowards

blogthingy
ink the troll

Postby The Hierophant » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:28 am

Agreed that the new suforums are arse.
The Hierophant

Postby Rev Nice » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:20 pm

For those moaning about the effort of clicking a couple of extra times to get into subforums - have you noticed that the active threads from all the subforums are displayed under the subforum index?

The newly posted on threads are all displayed on the subforum index page.
By using this as your main board for the subforums, it's actually faster to keep track of all the recent postings.
Rev Nice
FU!UK Chair

Postby mcfonz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Yup, and it begs the question as to why not just have them all in one forum if we are intended to use that part as the main forum?

It's confusing. Also, like I said before, there is a hell of a lot of crossover which could result in rightly posted multiple threads clogging up the index.

Edit: And also, due to where the painting forum now is you are throwing in yet another category previously not present in the froth zone which sort of muddies the water. As I have said above, you could then have three different threads on the same miniatures in the index. This could be open to exploitation by companies - they could get someone to post a scouting report, then they could start a thread in the frothzone bit about their latest project and then someone could post painted versions in the painted bit.

It really just does not sit easily with me and appears to have been something done on maybe the wishes of a couple of people. There was nothing wrong with the old layout of the forums - why the change?
Last edited by mcfonz on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My building and painting Blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
My review blog (miniatures, terrain etc): http://miniaturesofakind.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby --- » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:19 pm

I might be being thick(er than usual) but why don't folks just use the 'View New Threads' option if they don't like the layout? I've always used it both now and with the old version) and it makes life an awful lot easier....
---
Committee Member

Postby Skipp » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:58 pm

with me its habit Jon, Its not something I used to do, so dont usually think of it...

Not to say its wrong, but it aint my practice (I'll try your suggestion though).

I still dont understand why we need a scouting sub forum and a miniatures sub forum though, and I've considered it from a few angles....

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby mcfonz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Actually, looking at the 'active thread list' it does not appear to include the painting section. Which begs the question - why put the painting forum in there if it's not going to be included in the active bit for some reason?
My building and painting Blog: http://mcfonz.blogspot.co.uk/
My review blog (miniatures, terrain etc): http://miniaturesofakind.blogspot.co.uk/
mcfonz

Postby Rev Nice » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:43 pm

No bloody idea - it was working for me when I posted about it.
Maybe it doesn't like webbed fingered folk?
Rev Nice
FU!UK Chair

Postby Rev Nice » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Ah...see what you mean - I think the software doesn't recognise new posts on a Stickied thread.
Rev Nice
FU!UK Chair

PreviousNext

Return to Frother Feedback Box