English Civil War

All thats frother friendly from the world of electronic gaming.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

English Civil War

Postby kawasaki » Thu May 25, 2017 7:05 pm

New from Matrix Games. Anyone spunked their hard-earned on this one yet?

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/683 ... .Civil.War

Amicalement.
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Re: English Civil War

Postby Bronshtein » Thu May 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Bollocks! I hate you.
I'm going to have to buy this now aren't I?
And it's that fucking horrible Ageod engine and the fucking Sealed Testicles were involved.
I'm going to buy it and play it for hours, lose and hate it.
You did this on purpose. :evil:

(Ta!)
Bronshtein

Postby kawasaki » Thu May 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Let me know what you think before I waste my cash on it.

:D
The Cardinal of Cunt

I have never heard of Frothers Unite- UK!

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=201399
kawasaki

Postby Hermit » Fri May 26, 2017 7:26 pm

I just watched the video in that link. Why did they have Kermit The Frog do the voice-over?
Hermit

Postby hannahbb » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:00 am

First time hearing about this game. Looks interesting though, wonder if it's any close to Europa Universalis series.
You're the king? Well, I didn't vote for you.
hannahbb

Postby Bronshtein » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:33 am

Standard AGEOD strategic engine - Birth of America etc. Area movement, supply production in each and armaments production in some.
Seems to be a tweak of the Thirty Years War game by them, based on the cut and paste appearance of 'Swedish Arquebusiers' generating in London in one of the tutorials. Several annoying bits like that in the tutorials: one continually jumps an action phase and leaves you a segment behind in the tutorial text (attack on Oxford - you can skip through and catch up but it makes you wonder what else might not be properly tested).

I've played Naseby through a couple of times - as usual working out how to make any use of the production/supply is a pain and probably half the battle. Won a minor strategic victory but never brought the King's Army to decisive battle, though Charles and Fairfax start next to each other. Slippery customer. Some of the movement is bloody annoying - horse moving through the New Forest (and similar woodland) seems to be more like moving through the Black Forest or Taiga.

So far 6 out of 10.

Some classic old history gaffs - but understandable at the scale. Cheshire is madly Royalist bar Nantwich and that only I think because in the scenario I played it had been captured by Fairfax and Brereton already (Cheshire was mainly neutral but Royalist neutral in Chester and Parliamentarian neutral as you went further East. And Wales is well - its Wales and who cares seems to be the approach). If you know a lot about the period things like this will tee you off. If you don't or you can remind yourself of the level of resolution and that it's only a game -it's not bad.

You can play letting the machine take care of most of your logistics (you'll probably lose) or micro manage the whole thing (you'll probably go mad). Somewhere there is happy medium. Rummaging through the mechanics for it now!

So far I'm havering between giving the full campaign a lash and wishing I'd spent the £17 on another couple of units of Pendraken 17th century dragoons.

(Just remembered another odd thing. In one scenario, I think it was a tutorial, Poyntz appears in London as an unattached commander. I had to stop part way through for 'real life' and returned later. Started the whole thing from scratch - no Poyntz! He has never appeared again. Must be something I said. :( )
Bronshtein

Postby Etranger2 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:40 pm

No Poyntz for you!
Etranger2

English Civil War

Postby HenrymeF » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi folks,

Does anyone know of a good supplier for mens hats that would suit for the English Civil War period? Looking to buy something that looks the part but isnt going to cost a small fortune

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks,

P.R
HenrymeF

Return to Virtual Frother