Blood Bowl 2

All thats frother friendly from the world of electronic gaming.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Blood Bowl 2

Postby geronimo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:27 am

...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Re: Blood Bowl 2

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:02 am

I've always had a chip on my shoulder about Bloodbowl.
For two reasons.
Firstly, it's fucking boring. For a game that's meant to depict the movement and pace of a sport it's really slow and dull.
Secondly, because I reckon GW copied us. In the mid 80's (about 1985?) we did a game of Trollball (yeah, I know we never came up with it). We made a pitch and one of the members of our RPG club sculpted loads of miniatures specially for it. We then took it to Gamesday. The next year GW bring out Bloodbowl! I don't think that was coincidence. Like I say, I'm not claiming that we came up with the idea of fantasy American football (I'm saying quite clearly that we did not!), but I reckon we were the first to turn it into a tabletop game.
However, my first reason trumps my second reason - it really is a boring game.
An Absent Humphrey

Postby geronimo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:10 am

The gameplay on this certainly seems to reinforce the clunkiness....
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:39 pm

A Chaotic Humphrey wrote:I'm not claiming that we came up with the idea of fantasy American football (I'm saying quite clearly that we did not!)

Monsters of the Midway

Excellent fun

I seem to remember

I really like Bloodbowl and bought the previous incarnation of this game. And then someone bought me the legendary edition for a birthday and it is still in shirnk wrap. Think I'll miss on this
Frothers: "Nerd culture baseball bat to the face !" (the Badsmile 18/4/12)
Badger Loving Fluffster
Associate Member

Postby Juuso » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:08 am

Got this just the other day, for PS4. It's ok, although there are some negatives. Firstly, there's this single player campaign mode which is centered around the Reikland Reavers, you can only play it as the Reavers coach. Kinda understandable due to the special things that happen during the campaign (like commentator Bob Bifford sneaking off to play a game for the Reavers, or the gobbo chopper crashing down on the field, so you have to circle around it etc.) So it's kinda fun, and the commentators CAN be hilarious with their antics - but often they're just annoying and a little tedious with their 'Facetome', 'Twerps' and other 'Antisocial media' jokes. They get pretty tired quick.

You can apparently play tournaments in single player as well, but so far it's a little unclear to me if the old campaign mode (with any team) has been gone?

Then you have to pay about 6 euros for Wood Elves and Lizards, if you want to with those teams. Apparently you can play against them even if you didn't buy them as DLC. Great. I wonder if all the other teams are there, probably not and they will become available as DLC? haven't bothered to find out yet.

So the game play itself is pretty smooth, and fun. But they've kinda dropped the ball (eh, eh?), with using far too many and far too long animation sequences during the game, between halves and in the start of the game, and you cant even skip them as far as I know. Blood Bowl is based on a board game, so one shouldn't really expect super fast games, but with all the graphics going on there, it kinda takes even longer to play a match. So definitely not for the impatient.

So far there have been some oddities with the AI in the campaign. For some reason the AI can skip a turn (happened a couple of times in the same game), or it can really take it's time to make turns. One time the 4 minute clock ran down, and AI did nuffink. Then the clock turned to 'eternal' symbol and only then the AI got bothered about making a turn, and took its sweet time about it too. As if the game wasn't slow enough already. :(

And the AI isn't very good either. You can easily beat it in the campaign at least. Like in the first BB, the AI doesn't even bother much about scoring. Even with High Elves... I mean, you'd at least understand if Orcs were like that.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet, that's why I dropped the game the last time. Too much aggravation and cheese. Anyways, it's not a disaster, but not for everybody, I warrant.
Juuso

Postby Juuso » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:22 am

Talking to myself here, but there are 8 teams altogether in the basic game (plus two DLC ones): Humans, Bretonnians, Chaos, Dwarves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Skaven, Orcs. I find the choice of Bretonnians a bit odd, talk about marginal and it's just another human team with quirks. I rather would have seen some other team there, maybe Wood Elves? One of the original races anyways.

As it is, there's not enough squishy teams for solo play, and I don't imagine online will much better: orcs, dorks, chaos, dark elves - if I had to guess? I started a solo tournament with a human team, and first two opponents were chaos ones.

Then there's some odd stuff I am not familiar with, some sort of currency 'cyans' or something, I don't know what they're for, maybe buying some custom stuff? And as coach you get to level up, but I haven't found out what that entails. And you can now improve your home arena, and get sponsors. I imagine this works in online as well as solo?

Anyhow, I am thinkin I won't be buying those DLC teams, I guess it would be best to wait until they get all of them out, and then buy the definite edition or whatever. Until that time, I guess I will stay away from online play.
Juuso

Postby Skipp » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:49 pm

A Chaotic Humphrey wrote:, it's fucking boring..

Yep, I had a copy of 1st edition, and a couple of the original teams (dwarves n dark elves iirc) - since I came back to gaming I've played most of the games I used to as a kid, or bought copies of em and read em for the nostalgia - Bloodbowl is one I won't be returning to... Dull as fuck.

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby Juuso » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:42 am

Well, I warrant Blood Bowl 1 ed. is nothing like 3rd or whatever the current/last version is? I think it plays pretty fast for a boardgame and is fun. But there you go, I guess?

Returning back to the video game, I have to revise my opinion on the AI? It's not 'not very good', it's actually abyssmally bad. I have played now the single-player campaign and 20 or so tourney games against the computer. And I have won all the games, and the AI has nto scored a single touch-down. It's either not interested at all in scoring, or tries it only half-assed way. Frankly it plays like a retard, and that's an insult on retards. It's amazing how bad plays it can make, if they can even be called that.

Cyanide has stated someplace that they made the AI so that each race plays differently and (assuming) according to its strengths, but that's just rubbish. Ok, I have seen it use Skaven runners to go deep in my zone, but it never tries to pass the ball, even when it's obvious that I am going to sack it next turn etc. Just no reaction to my moves, and very little idea about its own. And the old classic bad AI stuff form edition 1, like not doing quick snap, or doing useless runs on the last turn, when it's obvious that they can't score, or never fouling, not once! I got worried one time when the AI gathered a load of rocs around my fallen player, but apparently it just likes to use six players to cover my fallen lineman, for some reason? It's all very baffling how bad the AI can really be?
Juuso

Return to Virtual Frother