Scanning film negatives at home?

All thats frother friendly from the world of electronic gaming.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Scanning film negatives at home?

Postby Juuso » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:13 pm

I found some old negatives of some miniature photos I must have taken sometime mid to late 90s or something - Before I had access to digi-camera anyways. I tried googling tips for scanning the negatives with a regular scanner and backlight, but the results have been 'ye liveliest Awfulness' at best, i.e. not very good at all.

Has anyone had any success with such nonsense? I waxed kinda nostalgic when I tried to squint at the negs, a couple nice minis (well I liked them) I did back then that I might like to post somewhere some day. Or is it just altogether too much hassle, and I should go to the nearest photo shoppe to develop/scan them?
Juuso

Re: Scanning film negatives at home?

Postby Ace From Outer Space » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:29 pm

Never had a problem scanning slides or negs when I was a graphic designer. Even at home I had a negative hood that I could use with my scanner. To be honest, I bet you could probably get them digitised fairly cheaply and stuck on a disc. Much easier and less hassle than having to do it all yourself...
Ace From Outer Space

Postby Juuso » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:50 pm

What's a negative hood, some sort of rig/accessory? But yeah, I suspect it would be more simple and cheap just to pay the man to get them scanned.
Juuso

Postby Hermit » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Or you could rig up your own if you've got a bit of time:

http://makezine.com/craft/how-to_turn_s ... d_negativ/

Also check the extra features of your scanner. Some have the feature of being able to scan negatives, but many who own them don't realise it until you point it out to them.
Hermit

Postby Etranger2 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:31 am

You can get kits for a few bucks that allow you to scan in from negatives and slides. Well worth it if you've got a few to transfer.This is the one I've got but there are others http://www.topbuy.com.au/catalog/produc ... AtQ68P8HAQ
Etranger2

Postby Juuso » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:43 pm

So I think it's not worth buying new gizmos for a couple of negatives only. I bet it will be much cheaper to have them scanned by a pro. I will check my scanner if there's anything for negs, but I doubt it. It's pretty basic a multifunction device.
Juuso

Postby --- » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:19 pm

If you're not in a hurry (and there's nowt personal on them), I've got a Nikon neg scanner in the office but I won't be back 'til mid August...
---
Committee Member

Postby Juuso » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:07 am

That's alright, I don't think it's worth sending to the UK (from FInland). More hassle than its worth, they're not THAT good. Just some nostalgia I guess. I will take them to the local shop, and maybe post them if they come out good. There was this chaos landraider I was kinda fond of, but I sold it years ago.
Juuso

Postby Ace From Outer Space » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:44 am

why not just get them developed? I can still get negs printed here in the UK. Fuck, I can still get my old films washed...
Ace From Outer Space

Return to Virtual Frother