Elite Dangerous is fucking brilliant!

All thats frother friendly from the world of electronic gaming.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Elite Dangerous is fucking brilliant!

Postby SteveI42 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:41 pm

My young un started playing this yesterday (early Christmas pressie) now he wants a decent joystick to use. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?
SteveI42

Postby Hermit » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:21 pm

There are probably some decent ones for the £20-£30 mark, but I don't really like joysticks as I can never get the hang of using one. I'm a gamepad player meself :)

I tried getting used to using joysticks by first getting a Microsoft Sidewinder (good joytick, very sturdy), then I got a Cyborg FLY-5 (looks good but doesn't really last long) and then a Cyborg 3D (not a bad one, but still suffers from breakage), and then a Saitek AV8OR. All of which I bought from car boot sales. So worth a look at your local one.

The fashion now, though, is for HOTAS setups. Throttle control in the left hand and stick in the right (just like your pilot has in the game). I think Thrustmaster do a budget model that's quite good, but I'm not sure. Woody's your best bet for that kind of advice.

Just wait until your lad realises he can use a Occulus Rift on it :shock:
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:46 am

Don't ask me I'm still using one of these that I bought 14 years ago http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/hotas-cougar
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:It also 'thins the herd' so to speak, so that marginal and under-financed companies fall off the radar, leaving the better managed companies to dominate the news sphere.
TMP - killing off small companies!
General Paranoia

Postby Hermit » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:00 am

Not bad, they still sell for £150+ second hand :shock: but I suppose you get what you pay for. Thrustmaster do sell more modest setups, though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T- ... as+warthog

That looks like a good compact unit does that. Weighted base, so it won't slip around. A decent set of buttons on it, all laid out well. Even I'm tempted by that one. But then, I'd only buy it, use it once, and then wonder why the fuck I bought it knowing full well I'm shit at using joysticks :roll:
Hermit

Postby Kes » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:13 am

I've got an old one of these Saitek X45 that I'm going to plug in and give a go. Was also recommended to try voiceattack, but haven't got round to installing it yet.
Kes

Postby Badger Loving Fluffster » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:55 am

General Paranoia wrote:Don't ask me I'm still using one of these that I bought 14 years ago http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/hotas-cougar

So you're trying to get us to link to a page that has hot, cougar and thrustmaster? Yeah, nice one Woody :P
Frothers: "Nerd culture baseball bat to the face !" (the Badsmile 18/4/12)
Badger Loving Fluffster
Associate Member

Postby General Paranoia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Badger Loving Fluffster wrote:
General Paranoia wrote:Don't ask me I'm still using one of these that I bought 14 years ago http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/hotas-cougar

So you're trying to get us to link to a page that has hot, cougar and thrustmaster? Yeah, nice one Woody :P

Tell me about it, I went there full of hope and ended up with a bloody joystick :(
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:It also 'thins the herd' so to speak, so that marginal and under-financed companies fall off the radar, leaving the better managed companies to dominate the news sphere.
General Paranoia

Postby General Paranoia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:44 pm

voiceattack is useless, it can't seem to differentiate between "Missiles! Fire the fucking missiles you bastard machine" and "Landing gear! For fuck sake lower the fucking landing gear!"
Needless to say landing in space stations is always an adventure!
General Paranoia

Postby SteveI42 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks for the replied and the pointers, as £100+ is out of the question for now I'll have a look at what other HOTAS units there are.
No doubt whatever I get him will be the wrong one!
SteveI42

Postby General Paranoia » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:30 pm

So... how many other players have you bumped into in the game?
On the whole it's a rare thing, the most I've ever seen in the same place was about 15 at an organised meet up.
Really enjoying the game so far though. Mostly collecting bounties now. Tried my hand at most things, found trading a bit dull, mining a pain, but exploration works well with collecting bounties round the edge of the core systems
General Paranoia

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Frother