Elite Dangerous is fucking brilliant!

All thats frother friendly from the world of electronic gaming.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Elite Dangerous is fucking brilliant!

Postby Hermit » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Well, they released the Beta 2 on Tuesday. It was a bit of a buggy mess to start with. I downloaded it to find I was flying around in the galaxy map and couldn't go anywhere. With the 2.02 patch, I was in normal space but couldn't jump to any other system, so I was stuck at Azeban Orbital :?

Most of the main problems seem to have been sorted with the 2.03 patch. I can now jump from system to system and everything looks and sounds good :D The only problem I have with it now is the blurred holo-text in the cockpit which is giving me a right fucking headache after only an hour or so play on it.
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:49 pm

Just been playing Elite with the Oculus Rift and it's bloody amazing! So much better than the view you get on a monitor, you can really look around and see what's going on. You can even crane your neck and see what behind the pilots seat! You are set further back so you get a wider view and can also see your own body if you look down and its really weird to see you virtual hands on the throttle and joystick in exactly the position they are in real life moving in sync with your movements. It really does make you feel immersed in the environment. The one major problem I've encountered though is that the text on the displays is very hard to read due to the resolution.
I think I might try Skyrim tomorrow evening.
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:Doesn't matter to me if you think I am Monty Schwab. In fact, I would be proud to be Monty Schwab. He's making a difference in the world. More of us should be like him!
General Paranoia

Postby Hermit » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:36 pm

I'd get an Oculus if I wasn't so crap with a joystick. No matter how long I try, I just can't get used to using one. So I have to stick with a gamepad, which I feel more comfortable with. I could use a gamepad with an Oculus, but it would feel odd. It would spoil the "immersion blah, blah" and "realism blah, blah" that they love to arse on about on the Star Citizen forums :roll:

Didn't realise that there was a problem with reading text in the cockpit with them, though. That might also be due to the blurred holo-text they brought in. The good thing there is that others complained about it and they quickly put in a switch in the options to turn off GUI effects. Things are much clearer now, and I'm not getting headaches trying to read it anymore :D
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:52 am

Nice little article on RockPaperShotgun:-

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10 ... s-diary-1/

Hope you enjoy!

Amicalement
Armand
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:Doesn't matter to me if you think I am Monty Schwab. In fact, I would be proud to be Monty Schwab. He's making a difference in the world. More of us should be like him!
General Paranoia

Postby geronimo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:38 pm

General Paranoia wrote:Nice little article on RockPaperShotgun:-

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10 ... s-diary-1/

Hope you enjoy!

Amicalement
Armand

Not enough froth for that.
...I've heard things about people from other people about certain people to back that up (c) Andrew May

geronimo
Associate Member

Postby Hermit » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Beta 3 comes out at the end of this month :D

And the full game's still on course to come out at the end of the year :D :D
Hermit

Postby Skipp » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:57 pm

when I stop having to pay two mortgages....

What are you doing Dave?
Skipp

Postby Hermit » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Beta 3 was released yesterday. I downloaded it last night (it's about a 3.2gb download) and it looks amazing. Lots of graphical improvements (I bet those will look good on an Occulus, which I don't have). Here's the trailer for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jTRbmUzc8o

There was a slight bug with the reset for it. Players have been finding that they started with increased credits from the assets they had previously. I started with about 100,000 credits :D
Hermit

Postby Hermit » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:27 am

So, the game's going to be released on the 16th of December, with a Mac release next year :D
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:19 am

Yes, it's already everything I'd hoped it would be. I'm so pleased it's seemed to proceed so smoothly.
General Paranoia

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Frother