Star Shitizen

All thats frother friendly from the world of electronic gaming.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Star Shitizen

Postby General Paranoia » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Useless_Gonzo wrote:
Woodwose wrote: The amount of whining and entitlement on that forum is only surpassed by the apparent lack of understanding about what the game is about. It only takes the most cursory glance to see that the game is following on from the old Wing Commander games and that the ships are really geared for dogfighting. All the other bits such as trade and planetside stuff are just addons.

Heh, I asked if the PvP is going to be faction based or FFA (ala Eve). Suggested as WC and SC were basically military space/flight sims that faction based would be cool and a supply/spawning system akin to WWIIOL would be nice allowing a massive campaign to be set. Got a lot of feedback stating SC isn't about the fights its more about getting out there to explore and trade and the playerbase doesn't want a pure fight sim. I thought "you've obviously not played WC and SL then".

Problem is all the whining and entitlement may end up morphing the game away from the military dogfight sim to a "sims in space" abomination that seems to be the forum aim point. Thats what was great about the WC/SL games more pew pew less "worried about the attractiveness of my space sim, and I can't wash my hands in the space sink after using a space toilet" (yup there's a thread about that).

BUT there the dogfight module out in December, or basically WoT in space. thats what I'm looking at to see if I'm going to spend a serious amount of time playing or not (last time I played a 6D dogfighter was "warhead" on an Atari ST and I hated it at the time).

BTW I need a tag to send the gift to mines "Obi Two" :)

...and finally are you going to name that Cutlass "Can I haz your stuff pls?" :D

That proves my point, look at what the devs are showing and the design of the ships, they are very much based on fighting and not trade or exploring. At the end of the day Chris Roberts will do what Chris Roberts wants and he said right from the outset that it would be a spiritual successor to Wing Commander. What those other people want is Elite, but they dismissed it out of hand because it is not American and some have even convinced themselves that the original Elite was just cashing in on the WC bandwagon (despite the fact that it came out long before!)
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:It also 'thins the herd' so to speak, so that marginal and under-financed companies fall off the radar, leaving the better managed companies to dominate the news sphere.
TMP - killing off small companies!
General Paranoia

Postby An Absent Humphrey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeah, these all sound good games.
But not a patch on Codename Mat, as well you all know.
An Absent Humphrey

Postby Hermit » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:19 pm

Fuck me! There's a blast from the past. Codename Mat! I remember playing that one on my old speccy :D

But they do seem to have many things arse about face on the SC forums. The Elite "cashing in" argument is one of them. The only good thing about that is they don't see it as a rival to SC. They're still twatting on about Eve Online's players moving over to them and that Eve's days are numbered. Even though the two games are completely different styles :roll:

They get right on my fucking nerves on the SC forum. They seem to be pushing the high polygon idea to it's limits in an effort to freeze out the "riff-raff" gamers who don't spend thousands on PC rigs. I once mentioned on there something about graphics cards, and that the drive for high-res realism should be scaled back as not to freeze people out. But some bellend replied saying that new graphics cards were capable of drawing millions of polygons on the screen at once and so couldn't see a problem. I nearly replied with:

"You're the biggest fuckwit that I know! I bet you believe all the shit companies tell you, don't you? Yes, recent graphics cards can draw millions of polygons on a screen at once, but drawing them on screen and animating them with high-res textures and lighting are two different things, you clueless cock-end!" :evil:

but I managed to stop myself.

They pretty much take the piss out of those that don't think like them, such as those who want to play the game on an off-the-shelf laptop. That's something that Elite Dangerous will benefit from.

So yeah, I'm going to to enjoy playing SC in a nasty way :twisted:
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Hermit wrote:So yeah, I'm going to to enjoy playing SC in a nasty way :twisted:

Yep, they do seem to bring on the desire to commit terrorist atrocities across the galaxy 0;)

Would be nice to drape their corpses over my ship...

Editor in Chief Bill wrote:It also 'thins the herd' so to speak, so that marginal and under-financed companies fall off the radar, leaving the better managed companies to dominate the news sphere.
General Paranoia

Postby Hermit » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:39 pm

Anything's better than that fucking fishtank!
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm tempted to go on there and ask if we'll be able to eat the corpses of our victims ( I remember years ago in Ultima Online you could hack apart the corpses of victims, then cook and eat the parts. Turned out it was a bug or a dev having a joke and they stopped it :cry: )
General Paranoia

Postby Voltan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:05 pm

You should really ask if the flushing toilets can cope with tampons or if some other facilities will be needed 0;)
Andrew Cockney Rae wrote:Elbows and knees, elbows and knees!

Voltan

Postby Squeaky » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:06 pm

Woodwose wrote:
Hermit wrote:So yeah, I'm going to to enjoy playing SC in a nasty way :twisted:

Yep, they do seem to bring on the desire to commit terrorist atrocities across the galaxy 0;)

Would be nice to drape their corpses over my ship...

Reavers! You'd have to eat the victims too..and skin them, and rape them, in that order I think.
Squeaky

Postby General Paranoia » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Squeaky wrote:Reavers! You'd have to eat the victims too..and skin them, and rape them, in that order I think.

You didn't read my other post did you? ;-)
General Paranoia

Postby squeaksnli » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:10 am

Woodwose wrote:
Squeaky wrote:Reavers! You'd have to eat the victims too..and skin them, and rape them, in that order I think.

You didn't read my other post did you? ;-)

No.

And still haven't.

Because I'm awkward..and stubborn.
squeaksnli

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Frother