Star Shitizen

All thats frother friendly from the world of electronic gaming.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Star Shitizen

Postby Voltan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Woodwose wrote: so we could band together for boarding actions.

Does that line ever get you any action, you might need to update it.
Andrew Cockney Rae wrote:Elbows and knees, elbows and knees!

Voltan

Postby General Paranoia » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:41 am

Voltan wrote:
Woodwose wrote: so we could band together for boarding actions.

Does that line ever get you any action, you might need to update it.

Never been known to fail in this place!
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:It also 'thins the herd' so to speak, so that marginal and under-financed companies fall off the radar, leaving the better managed companies to dominate the news sphere.
TMP - killing off small companies!
General Paranoia

Postby Useless_Gonzo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:45 pm

I'm keeping an eye out, there's supposed to be a "sale" in November so I might find something on the cheap. I presume I'd have to do a paypal xfer to you. Only issue is the sale is per ship for a 24 hour period.
Useless_Gonzo

Postby General Paranoia » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Useless_Gonzo wrote:I'm keeping an eye out, there's supposed to be a "sale" in November so I might find something on the cheap. I presume I'd have to do a paypal xfer to you. Only issue is the sale is per ship for a 24 hour period.

I think the "sale" isn't a question of ships being sold at a lower price, but a few of the "limited edition" ones being sold again, such as the $1000 Idris! Last time they did that they released them in US time so they all went at 2am in about 10 minutes! I doubt you'll be wanting them anyway ;-)
However there is the option to swap ships between players, so if you chose to buy your own ship you could gift it to one of us, we "melt it down" (their term for cashing it in for credits) Then we use the credits to buy the same ship with life time insurance and gift it back to you.
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:It also 'thins the herd' so to speak, so that marginal and under-financed companies fall off the radar, leaving the better managed companies to dominate the news sphere.
General Paranoia

Postby Hermit » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Provided it's of the same value. I think the LTI packages for early backers are a bit cheaper (can't remember, I haven't checked recently) Knowing them, they've probably got them on at the same price.

But yeah, these "sales" are for overpriced crap that they have, and are just massive moneygrabs to ensure they still pull in a million a week (I think they shit themselves when it goes below that mark). So take no notice of them. They've been doing them ever since the success of the Vanduul Sythe "sale" They realised that they'd hit on a good money-spinner with it.

So stick with a basic Aurora package. You've got until the dogfighting module comes out this month, so not long. But then again, they might just extend that to the beta if moneyflow drops :roll:
Hermit

Postby Voltan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:56 pm

So how far off of release are they? There seems to be a lot of money dropping into it if it's a couple of years away.

Voltan

Postby General Paranoia » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 am

Voltan wrote:So how far off of release are they? There seems to be a lot of money dropping into it if it's a couple of years away.

Well release is 2015, however the people buying ships now are going for the Alpha and Beta packages that will let them start getting access earlier. Alpha is due in the new year I think and it sounds like the game will be completed in chunks with the first concentrating on the dogfighting element.
It'll be interesting to see how this works out as Elite is supposed to be going to Alpha pretty soon, with a release date next year. That's going to mean they'll have had plenty of time to release and then polish up any bugs well before SC gets released. They'll also have an easier time releasing as they have a much smaller less demanding fan base, whereas whenever anything out of the ordinary happens with SC all their servers crash under the strain of the amount of users logging in.
I dread to think what state the SC servers will be in on release day!
Still... enraged yanks with entitlement issues, floundering around in undermanned capital ships are the reason I'll be there with my Cutlass ready and waiting :wink:
General Paranoia

Postby Voltan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:50 am

2015???

I can see people kicking off when they lose stuff every time they reset the alpha and beta.

Voltan

Postby General Paranoia » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Voltan wrote:2015???

I can see people kicking off when they lose stuff every time they reset the alpha and beta.

As I've said before, half of them don't even know what they are paying for! Many are going on about controlling fleets and buying multiples of the same ship in the hope it'll be like the X3 games. They obviously haven't grasped the fact that AI ships will not stand a chance in a multiplayer game. They are going to go mental when they find they've wasted all their savings on a strategy that won't work. It sounds like combat will be instanced so there will be a fairly low cap on the amount of ships involved and someone with a very large fleet might well find half their fleet in one instance and half in another. Even if they all end up in one it would be one person facing a dozen or so other people!
The amount of whining and entitlement on that forum is only surpassed by the apparent lack of understanding about what the game is about. It only takes the most cursory glance to see that the game is following on from the old Wing Commander games and that the ships are really geared for dogfighting. All the other bits such as trade and planetside stuff are just addons. There's only a tiny amount of systems and planets so it's hardly going to be an Elite style game where you can bugger off into the outer reaches of space and do your own thing. In SC you'll never be alone, there will be so many people in such a small universe, each system will just be a glorified lobby where you go to be sent to the next instanced dogfight arena.
General Paranoia

Postby Useless_Gonzo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Woodwose wrote: The amount of whining and entitlement on that forum is only surpassed by the apparent lack of understanding about what the game is about. It only takes the most cursory glance to see that the game is following on from the old Wing Commander games and that the ships are really geared for dogfighting. All the other bits such as trade and planetside stuff are just addons.

Heh, I asked if the PvP is going to be faction based or FFA (ala Eve). Suggested as WC and SC were basically military space/flight sims that faction based would be cool and a supply/spawning system akin to WWIIOL would be nice allowing a massive campaign to be set. Got a lot of feedback stating SC isn't about the fights its more about getting out there to explore and trade and the playerbase doesn't want a pure fight sim. I thought "you've obviously not played WC and SL then".

Problem is all the whining and entitlement may end up morphing the game away from the military dogfight sim to a "sims in space" abomination that seems to be the forum aim point. Thats what was great about the WC/SL games more pew pew less "worried about the attractiveness of my space sim, and I can't wash my hands in the space sink after using a space toilet" (yup there's a thread about that).

BUT there the dogfight module out in December, or basically WoT in space. thats what I'm looking at to see if I'm going to spend a serious amount of time playing or not (last time I played a 6D dogfighter was "warhead" on an Atari ST and I hated it at the time).

BTW I need a tag to send the gift to mines "Obi Two" :)

...and finally are you going to name that Cutlass "Can I haz your stuff pls?" :D
Useless_Gonzo

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Frother