Star Shitizen

All thats frother friendly from the world of electronic gaming.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Star Shitizen

Postby Sturmpioneer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:33 pm

That looks promising: Elite Dangerous that is.
http://www.kingsfordminiatures.org

As seen in Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy magazine Issue #67!
Sturmpioneer

Postby Hermit » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Well, they've finally gotten around to releasing the Star Citizen Arena Commander dog-fighting module today. I'm going to to give it a day or two before I have a go on it. I'm just waiting for all the fanboy zealots to jizz their little nadsacks dry over it first. Once they're out of the way and calmed down a bit I might have more chance of trying it out properly.
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:58 pm

I had a go at it a bit earlier (then went straight to Elite to compare it). Found it rather lack-luster. Functionally much the same as the initial Elite Alpha release, but much more emphasis on ship details and less on the game details... shoot an asteroid and the lasers just stop dead with no effect, in Elite they created bits of dust and debris. Plus I don't like the cockpit display and radar. Elite's interface is much more intuitive, but then again I am used to the radar from the original games. The thing is Elite just seems to have so much more character (and humour). SC's ships seem more like futuristic jet fighters on board some USS aircraft-carrier. Their universe/style doesn't really grab me, I find it a bit too near future rather than sci-fi and the background material I've read seems rather dull. I think "empty" is the word I'm looking for.
E:D has more of a futuristic sci-fi feel to it. Obviously they've stuck with ships from the original game but have dome a pretty good job of updating them to look more believable. But for me the background material is the best part. There's a strong element of Traveller in there along with Blake's 7 and Douglas Adams. The first set of Kickstarter books were released this week via Fantastic Books http://www.fantasticbookspublishing.com/store/elite-2/ , there's also a bunch from the sci-fi publishers Gollancz http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2014/04/frontier-gollancz-announce-authors-for-kickstarted-elite-dangerous-books/ and an RPG set of rules in the works. I don't know that SC has generated anything to compare to that.
On the whole, Elite's universe seems to have spawned a lot more creativity among it's fan base than Star Citizen.
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:Doesn't matter to me if you think I am Monty Schwab. In fact, I would be proud to be Monty Schwab. He's making a difference in the world. More of us should be like him!
General Paranoia

Postby Hermit » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:51 pm

They've tried to create the same kind of mythos that Elite has, but it's pretty much fallen flat on it's face. The thing with Elite is that it had it right from the start when the original game was released with "The Dark Wheel" novella. You can't compete with that kind of history.

The criticism I'm seeing for Star Citizen at the moment is that it looks and plays too much like an arcade game. I'll have to see that for myself. How big is the download for it?
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:40 am

I think about 11Gb, took 40 minutes. It seems to run OK on my machine, but was getting random disconnects. Probably the best time to test it will be in the morning before America wakes up!
The actual flight envelope (if you can call it that) is pretty arcady, fighting the drones is rather dull and you certainly don't get the flying by the seat of your pants furball feel. All the camera angles they give you seem to geared purely to being able to admire your own ship from the outside rather than being any conceivable use for combat (Elite has no outside camera views, you view the world from your cockpit and that's it) I think SC is really going to struggle with the multiplayer aspect as soon as people start encountering 30 other people all lugging around camper vans filled with aquariums, working showers and flushing toilets! I mean ffs half of those players make do with pissing in a bucket by their computer, so why do they need a working bog in a game!
Editor in Chief Bill wrote:Doesn't matter to me if you think I am Monty Schwab. In fact, I would be proud to be Monty Schwab. He's making a difference in the world. More of us should be like him!
General Paranoia

Postby Hermit » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Probably to help them forget what a miserable existance they have and take their minds off the loaded guns they have on their desks :lol:

I'll download it tomorrow and have a go on it through the weekend when I've got some time on my hands. Looking at the minimum requirements, I can see they're going full-on for top of the range PC users. 8GB of ram just for an alpha, fuck me! But then that's what they get for using CryEngine and going insane on the ship polygon counts.

And there was me thinking that having 12GB would be more than enough :roll: Can't see SC optimising their minimum specs much. Elite Dangerous looks to only require 2GB and they say that'll be optimised lower for the main game. That I can believe knowing Frontier Developements. But then, they're not messing about with all that bollix of flushing toilets and twatting fishtanks. A bobblehead is more than enough. Just wish the textures of it could be changed so that a player could make it resemble Chris Roberts with the words: "In Chris, we're fucked" written on its base.
Hermit

Postby Hermit » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:58 pm

I left it downloading overnight before I went to bed. I was only getting 370kbs, but when I woke up and took a look at it this morning, it had only downloaded 2GB of it with a download stall message on it :(

Bastard!

I'll try again tonight.
Hermit

Postby General Paranoia » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Hermit wrote:I left it downloading overnight before I went to bed. I was only getting 370kbs, but when I woke up and took a look at it this morning, it had only downloaded 2GB of it with a download stall message on it :(

Bastard!

I'll try again tonight.

Worst time to do it. Mornings are best, when the septics aren't hogging the bandwidth
General Paranoia

Postby Hermit » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:35 pm

You're probably right there. I managed another 5gb before it stalled again, but at least it's accumulative, so it should do it next time.
Hermit

Postby Hermit » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Well, I downloaded Arena Commander and had a go on it last night....

.... :|

....And straight afterwards I pre-ordered the standard beta of Elite Dangerous.

If that's a taste of the way Star Citizen is going to be, then it's not going to be as good as they all think it will be on their forums. It just seems to be a very dodgy space sim that's been over-bloated with layer upon layer of frilly effects so that no-one will notice how bad the game is underneath it all. It does look to be too arcady, with dogfighting just shooting at distant ringed dots. It all gets very boring, very quickly. And what really made me laugh is that the pilot in the hangar looks to have picked up a limp of some sort. That, together with his hunchback space suit, just makes him look fucking comical. I wonder which poor bastard they got in their mocap studio to do that? A low-grade animator could've done a better job of animating that walk.

And to cap all that off. I tried to have a go on it today, only to notice that there was a new patch of just under 8gb to download. Fuck that! After downloading over 12gb, and taking ages to do so, I'll download that later when I can be arsed :evil:

So yeah, I do think Elite Dangerous will be the best of the two space sims.
Hermit

PreviousNext

Return to Virtual Frother