Anyone got advice about US style UK heroes?

All thats fit to print and plenty thats not from the world of comic frotherdom...

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Anyone got advice about US style UK heroes?

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Bugger. I posted after Brony's comment before I noticed he'd replied, panicked, quoted or edited my own post in another tab and deleted my post on this tab to reply to Brony, and now I have a page quoting myself that I can't repost because it says the original post doesn't exist!
AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!! :cuss: :cuss: :evil: :cuss:
I think that Ectoplasmic Cavalier must have cursed me in revenge for the indignity he was subjected to.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 pm

With Frost being a legit ice powered villain I might have an excuse for having my Nameless Nazi actually on an ice throne like in the picture, maybe paint up some Eskimo followers for him too and have the Nazi component of my Axis villain force be ice/cold themed.

The Japanese will be mainly sea themed If I get my Whale man off the ground, the problem comes with the Italians, I really thought I'd be able to find a Fire Villain from the period, how naïve was I? :roll:
The best Italian made villain I've come up with so far is this guy, and he's really a magician from the old west!
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/m/mefisto.htm
I Guess it's probably the popularity of the western at the time that is responsible for the lack of good WW2 era Supervillains.
At least he's dressed in red and devil themed, implying fire at least.

I'm sorely tempted to try and find a Dr. Nikola Fig to represent Italy even if he really is a villain from an earlier time and created by an Australian not an Italian, and politically more to the left than far right...by no means a perfect fit, but I have long had making warbands for Guy Boothby's stories as a long term goal, probably for IHMN, so he wouldn't go to waste and would at least make a passable placeholder until I find someone more suitable.

Ogon Bat seems to be able to control the wind with a flap of his cape, so assuming his evil double has the same ability He'll make an excellent overall leader, with a sort of divine wind/air theme to round out my villain band. I'll have to think about a Japanese sub-leader, maybe the four eyed villain out of the Ogon bat pics? Or captain Nippon:
Image Image
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Nippon
He has a great wartime propaganda look (strangely looking more like many wartime depictions of the Hun in my favoured pic than the Japanese IMHO), but is pretty brutish and thick looking, even for a sub-leader. If I use him as a leader and not for dumb muscle I suppose I'll have to use the green suit.

Ogon Bat is summoned by a little girl and I very much doubt his evil counterpart is, but I suppose I should look for a model to represent a little Japanese girl just in case, I can always use her later to go with a version of the real Ogon Bat if as I suspect the villain has no need of a kid to summon him.

I found a Thumpback skylander fig and to be honest I like him, he has a good active pose, and is probably just big enough to do the job if I don't go overboard, but he doesn't seem to offer the scope for irony and pathos that I was hoping to bring to the figure. his eyes are set too high compared to the position of the mouth losing the potentially sorrowful look I wanted, indeed he looks like he is enthusiastically engaging in battle with a will, he'd make a great strait up conversion of the Japanese whale meat mascot or a vengeful free willed version going for some payback, but what he doesn't do is scream innocent creature cruelly forced to fight against his will, which was pretty much my whole concept of the character. :(
I might hold him in reserve for a later version that has joined the fight against japan for some payback and continue looking into the converted giant option, as the few whale men I've found have dull poses.
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Can someone tell me why an undead royal would go by the title Mr.? Maybe he had to drop his title to get naturalised (supernaturalised?) as an American when his castle was shipped overseas?
He seems like a reasonably easy conversion, a Martian Manhunter with his chest straps filed off and repainted should do it I think, or maybe Vision with a sculpted collar. But I don't know if he should really be counted as a British hero just because he has a dodgy English royal backstory.
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Justice

Does anyone know if this superhero had any adventures in Blighty?
Australian Dawn

Postby Bronshtein » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:26 am

Maybe he's really Jack the Ripper (obviously a Royal, protected by the Establishment) and his deal to escape to America was to be incognito - dropping the title would be the clincher pre-internet. Honest.
And the rest is atonement for his evil past?

PS Haven't given up on Mr Frost/Ice or whatever - just sourcing the right chemicals.
Bronshtein

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:37 am

-just sourcing the right chemicals.

I foresee a future catastrophic explosion.

From the fire and smoke of which emerges:

"BRON,THE DESTROYER!" :D
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:51 am

Bronshtein wrote:Maybe he's really Jack the Ripper (obviously a Royal, protected by the Establishment) and his deal to escape to America was to be incognito - dropping the title would be the clincher pre-internet. Honest.
And the rest is atonement for his evil past?

PS Haven't given up on Mr Frost/Ice or whatever - just sourcing the right chemicals.

Thanks Bronshtein, I appreciate the help.
He is by far the most useful and thematically focused superpowered villain I've found that fits my project, and it would be nice to get the ice effect right.
He seems to work in tandem with his hot blooded wife who is also a spy, so if I track down a figure of an elegant lady in a fur coat I'll have a very versatile little villain group.
http://free-universe.myartsonline.com/Frost.html
I'm surprised this pair haven't been snapped up by Marvel or DC and reused in modern times TBH.
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:15 am

Voice From Limbo wrote:
-just sourcing the right chemicals.

I foresee a future catastrophic explosion.

From the fire and smoke of which emerges:

"BRON,THE DESTROYER!" :D

It doesn't bear thinking about. :fear:
Australian Dawn

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:53 am

Here are some other contenders for my Brit supers:
London
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/london
The problem with this guy is no powers and the likelihood that he was the stay at home type.

War Nurse
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/War_Nurse
Again no powers but If I can find a Wonder Woman with a large tiara and easily removed lasso I'd finally have a female in the team with only a little work.
(but I'll no doubt have to paint exposed arse cheeks to match the old school pants, now days a lot of superheroines seem to live with permanent wedgies, the days of Lynda Carter style massively padded posteriors like this heroine seems to have is gone, and as for skirts like many classic heroines have, these days they seem as rare as hens teeth.)

Spitfire
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Spitfire
Of all the crazy characters of this period it's the aviation themed ones that seem the most batshit to me, and this guy is no exception. No idea what figure I'd use something historical or fantasy with a torch and a sword I imagine. An immortal swordsman and aviator with Flamethrower/Knockout breath is certainly unusual, but I'm not sure he screams superhero, whether I use him or not depends on if I find a good figure for him (maybe in the frostgrave range or it's piratical spin off?), at least he has defined, if weird, powers.
Australian Dawn

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:20 am

Knockout breath???

That is a weird one. Must have been some interesting jokes in that comic.

From the pic, I imagine him just confusing enemies to death with his powerful lisp.

No "r's" in the word balloon either, I notice. :D
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:59 am

He does seem a bit... effeminate, now that you mention it.
It makes me wonder if that is the costume he uses as a ww2 superhero or just his Olde Timey pirate hunting duds from his pre superhero days.

Here's two rather generic looking special agent types that look superheroey enough to do in a pinch.
Black Wings/Night Devils
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Wings
Though painting those chest insignia would be a right dick.
Australian Dawn

PreviousNext

Return to Comics Emporium