Anyone got advice about US style UK heroes?

All thats fit to print and plenty thats not from the world of comic frotherdom...

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Anyone got advice about US style UK heroes?

Postby Etranger2 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:14 am

Australian Dawn wrote:So does anyone know of a good mini for this guy?

Two possibilities, from Pulp Figures
Etranger2

Postby Australian Dawn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:53 pm

He is pretty close, it's a shame he has the coat on and that strap across his chest though as I'd have to leave off the giant swastika which means he'll have less of a comic-booky look to him.
I'll keep him in mind anyway.
Thanks for the heads up! :beer:
De gustibus non est disputandum
Australian Dawn

Postby Jakar Nilson » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Australian Dawn wrote:He is pretty close, it's a shame he has the coat on and that strap across his chest though as I'd have to leave off the giant swastika which means he'll have less of a comic-booky look to him.
I'll keep him in mind anyway.
Thanks for the heads up! :beer:

You could do a conversion, using a 30 Years War or English Civil War half-armoured body.
"There are those that claim that war is all glory, but I can tell you it is all hell." -William Tecumseh Sherman

http://dp9forum.com/aurora/ Read Alfie's Tenners, every second month in Aurora magazine!
Jakar Nilson
Associate Member

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:06 pm

That's what I was thinking. Looks like a German head with a piece of plastic or card for the mask could do the trick.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:54 am

Yeah, it looks like I might have to do more converting on this guy than I thought. :(
And he seemed so generic!
After Nazi zombies I'd have thought armoured German soldiers were one of the most obvious pulp or weird ww2 troop types to make in miniature, and this guy would be bound to have an almost exact lookalike!

But then I thought an Italian super villain would be easy too, almost cliché! Fascists, the mafia, Religion, Ancient Rome, plenty of real world inspiration for powerful characters, you'd think there'd be some really great villains from around the ww2 period, but mainly they seem to be vicious but pretty generic "criminal masterminds" who I get the feeling aren't really running world wide criminal empires so much as just getting away with violent crimes.
Not the sort to go toe to toe with a super-strong hero in battle.

Japan has such a strong superhero tradition that it looks like they are going to completely dominate my Axis super team unless I go with more US created villains or start picking from other time periods (earlier crims out of retirement and later ones before they made the big time maybe.)
Australian Dawn

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:31 am

Old Glory has a trench fighter in body armor in their Storm Trooper pack:

https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/prod ... od=WWI-104

Have you taken a look at the Germans in Warlord's Konflikt '47 line? Probably a little expensive to get one figure, though.

I thought someone did a Red Skull figure at one time.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:18 am

I'm not keen on the pose and bulk of the old glory guy.

I'll check out konflikt '47 though, thanks! :beer:

I'll probably get a Red Skull, but so many early villains have a skull motif that a supervillain team from the period runs the risk of looking like an undead army!

And the comment about the Joker being unwilling to work with a Nazi like the Red Skull is starting to bite, how many villains would be willing to work with the Axis?
Fu Manchu would hardly be likely to team up with the Japanese invaders of China and I think he and most early villains saw or would have seen the Axis governments as rivals at best.
Period Authors from Allied countries probably had their villain protagonists be against the Axis out of patriotism and the Axis nations themselves don't seem to have produced much I can use, not that I can find anyway, they probably saw pulp literature and comics as decadent or something.

And I admit I feel a bit dickish using post war heroes even as henchmen for the Axis even if I can justify it as misguided patriotism or wartime necessity.
Not that I'll let it stop me of course, but for preference I'd rather not shit all over the memories of peoples childhood heroes by making them Nazi stooges.
Australian Dawn

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:24 pm

So, now you want to inject logic into the project? :fear:
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Maybe I am overthinking it a bit. :lol:
Australian Dawn

Postby Voice From Limbo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:29 pm

Point taken about Old Glory figs being bulky -- especially in the er, leg area.

Russ seems to like that style, for some reason -- along with his preference for "active" poses.
Voice From Limbo

PreviousNext

Return to Comics Emporium