Where to buy anime cheap AND genuine?

All thats fit to print and plenty thats not from the world of comic frotherdom...

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Where to buy anime cheap AND genuine?

Postby ninja_butler » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:28 pm

Every now and again I get an itch to buy a genuine DVD (it's probably time I bought a Blu Ray player) but the prices for some anime boxed sets are crazy. I want to see Strike Witches The Movie (another one is due for release in 2015 btw) and I could download it right now (and technically it probably wouldn't even be illegal if it hasn't been licensed for international sales) but the series was great, I loved it, and I'd like to see the studio make some money. Best option I've found so far is to buy it on Ebay as an import DVD from Malaysia, but I've read that Malaysia sell a lot of counterfeit stuff.

At £12 inc P&P the price is acceptable, but is it genuine or is it a knock-off?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strike-Witche ... 4897.l4275
ninja_butler

Re: Where to buy anime cheap AND genuine?

Postby countersunk81 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:43 pm

I'd wager that it's not genuine to be honest. From the pics it looks like a couple of box sets that I have that are most certainly not genuine (didn't know at the time). The ones I have do play ok though.
Don't know where the best place for cheap anime is these days, sorry.
countersunk81

Postby andrewbeasley » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:46 am

It's a bit hit and miss but look for a CEX store close by.

I've never tried online https://uk.webuy.com but my son has been very happy with the purchases from Grimsby, Scunthorpe and Lincoln stores.
andrewbeasley

Postby Duff » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:42 am

Or, y'know, you could buy a stack of classic films for 3 quid a pop instead.
broney wrote:You weren't there man! How many stiles are there on the Offa's Dyke Walk? You don't know Man!

Duff
Associate Member

Postby mr tough guy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:01 pm

I really doubt that the DVD you're looking at is legit, although it could be, I'd say apart from stuff from Japan and possibly Hong Kong, most of the stuff coming out of (south east) Asia is counterfit, although nowadays most of the time the quality is equal to original products. But that doesn't help you if you want to support the makers, honestly the easy answer is either you have to wait till an official english language release (and probably pay more than your willing to) or get things through nefarious means.

You could always sign up for a Crunchyroll account which is a VOD Anime service with paid subscribtions, that way you can at least support the studios making the stuff, and clear your conscience a bit.
Image Image
mr tough guy

Postby UrbanWulf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:06 pm

I sincerely doubt that copy is legit. Funimation has only just (this year) bought the rights to the movie, and nothing has been announced about an official release. I also obtained some DVD's (carboot sale) that were ripped from somewhere and obviously weren't genuine that have the exact same stickers on the front (Malaysian customs I believe). They play fine, and the quality is OK but not as good as the original! If you want to support the creators I would wait for an official US/EU release, if it ever comes.
Stuttering guns pounding ever nearer
Pounding faster than a heart in fever
UrbanWulf

Return to Comics Emporium