Zenith Phase iv

All thats fit to print and plenty thats not from the world of comic frotherdom...

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Zenith Phase iv

Postby Clayface » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:23 pm

I own phases 1-3, and really really like them - but due to getting a pesky life i never even realised there was a phase 4 - and I understand it was never anthologised.

Was it any good?

Pat
Clayface

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:11 pm

What did he just say? :?
Mongrel

Postby Sane Max in English » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Greetings Frothers

In 2000AD, a British SF Comic, there was a Series called 'Zenith'.

There were 4 series of it, but I only read the first three.

Was the 4th one worthy of my perusal?

Pat
Sane Max in English

Postby Rev Nice » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:27 pm

I never cared much for Zenith at the time.
I see it as one of those moments when in retrospect you can see that 2000AD was evolving but at the time it seemed like trendy shite written by smug 'aren't we clever' new boys.

Sadly, a lot of the other stuff written by the old hands was beginning to look a bit tired as if they were bored of their long running creations.
Oh look - yet another Dredd story about a citizen of Megacity 1 where Dredd is only needed to turn up in a couple of panels to prove what a fascist cunt he is. Oh my. What marvelous satire. :roll:

Although nothing was probably as bad as Tyranny Rex. That was just poo.
Rev Nice
FU!UK Chair

Postby Sane Max in English » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Tyranny Rex was after my time. I stopped buying it when i was about 20, so that will be in.. 1988?

I still enjoy reading my Zeniths. 2000AD series that really were shit ? Ace Trucking. Almost anything drawn by Redondo. Later Rogue Trooper.

I picked up a 2000ad a year or two ago - what a pile of wank.
Sane Max in English

Postby Rev Nice » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Sane Max in English wrote:Tyranny Rex was after my time. I stopped buying it when i was about 20, so that will be in.. 1988?

I still enjoy reading my Zeniths. 2000AD series that really were shit ? Ace Trucking. Almost anything drawn by Redondo. Later Rogue Trooper.

I picked up a 2000ad a year or two ago - what a pile of wank.

I used to like Ace Trucking Co.
Belardinelli's art was always a joy.
That was another one where I thought the writers got bored at the end.
These things always went the same way - a major character would meet another version of themselves and slowly but surely the life would slowly drain away until it just seemed on life support or turned into something different that threw away much of it's central premise.
Ace Garp, Sam Slade, Torquemada...all met alternate versions of themselves and the strip was never quite the same again.
Rev Nice
FU!UK Chair

Postby DemonEtrigan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Sane Max in English wrote:Greetings Frothers

Pat

pretty sure i've got 4 volumes of the collections, but not sure if that relates to 4 series or not?

series 1 - Masterman?
Series 2 - Richard Branson destroying the world
Series 3 - ??
Series 4 - Big battle agains the Lligor on the alternate world where vertex sacrifices himself with the reality bomb?

of course that last one might be series 3. :)
DemonEtrigan

Postby Clayface » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:17 pm

DemonEtrigan wrote:Series 4 - Big battle agains the Lligor on the alternate world where vertex sacrifices himself with the reality bomb?

Yes, that's 3 - I have never even read iv.

The final series, Phase IV, brought the story full circle as the remaining members of Cloud 9 eventually transform into the very Lovecraftian horrors that Zenith battled in the first series. After destroying America in retaliation for a psychic attempt on their own lives they use the Sun as an incubator for their final metamorphosis into The Many Angled Ones, and (after casually destroying The Earth in passing) they ascend to the heavens attempting to gain control of the multiverse. St John has however (during part two - "The Eleventh Hour" episode,) trapped the Lloigor in the pocket universe created by Chimera, and the universe is assumed saved - although it is implied that St John has his own agenda for taking control - by this time he is already Prime Minister of Great Britain.

Sounds..... different.

Pat
Clayface

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Sane Max in English wrote:Greetings Frothers

Pat

Ahhhhh, thanks for explaining :lol: :wink:
Mongrel

Postby DemonEtrigan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Sane Max wrote:
DemonEtrigan wrote:Series 4 - Big battle agains the Lligor on the alternate world where vertex sacrifices himself with the reality bomb?

Yes, that's 3 - I have never even read iv.

The final series, Phase IV, brought the story full circle as the remaining members of Cloud 9 eventually transform into the very Lovecraftian horrors that Zenith battled in the first series. After destroying America in retaliation for a psychic attempt on their own lives they use the Sun as an incubator for their final metamorphosis into The Many Angled Ones, and (after casually destroying The Earth in passing) they ascend to the heavens attempting to gain control of the multiverse. St John has however (during part two - "The Eleventh Hour" episode,) trapped the Lloigor in the pocket universe created by Chimera, and the universe is assumed saved - although it is implied that St John has his own agenda for taking control - by this time he is already Prime Minister of Great Britain.

Sounds..... different.

Pat

sounds like it was written by Moore on drugs :)
DemonEtrigan

Next

Return to Comics Emporium