A sickening realisation

News and discussion of your favourite wargames and new rules to make it completely unplayable.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

A sickening realisation

Postby Hastati » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Ever have one of those wargaming "oh fuck" moments? I did yesterday unfortunately. I've been slowly building up two large 42mm forces for the Franco-Prussian War from Irregular Miniatures for a shiny toy soldier game. I've been buying the figures and basically putting them to one side without looking. I started on the Prussians a few months ago and this weekend thought I should get all the French figures organised into their respective units and cleaned up.

While doing so, I notice that the French infantry don't have epaulettes which left me somewhat nonplussed to be honest. I then go back to the Irregular site and scan the miniatures listing and notice, for the first time after having looked at it a fucking million times before, that there are actually two different marching French infantry figures, one with, and one without, epaulettes. Fuck, fuck, fuckety fuck. I now have £150 worth of French infantry without epaulettes.

So, do I start making green stuff epaulettes, buy some from Spencer Smith at £0.40 a throw, rebuy the figures entirely, or say fuck it, it's toy soldiers and just ignore it.

First world problems, I know.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Re: A sickening realisation

Postby Bronshtein » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Donate the figures to a deserving cause and then do the decent thing with the mess Webley old chap.

Actually it IS only toy soldiers - so unless it REALLY niggles I'd carry on (with the figs not the Webley)- I mean the style of them isn't super realistic in the first place is it? They are caricatures (and none the worse for that) so I would live with it.

(Should have done it in 6mm - epaulettes?! wot epaulettes? :? )
Bronshtein

Postby andrewbeasley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Would be tempted to make one and cast the rest but to be honest if you are going for the old style high gloss simple paint look then go without. Just make sure you keep to the same figures in future orders.

I saw the Perry twins layout a few years ago at Kelmarsh that was simple figures and scenery and it got me hooked into the idea. I've a small collection of 15mm put aside for this winter...
andrewbeasley

Postby Dhtandco » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:45 am

Go back to irregular and see if they will exchange some for you?
Dhtandco

Postby Dhtandco » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:46 am

Go back to irregular and see if they will exchange some for you?
Dhtandco

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:07 am

Since you're painting them in the 'toy soldier' style (great idea, by the way - love to see them when all done) why not just paint the epaulettes on the shoulders? That kind of simplicity will suit the project fine.
Can't help but think that casting/making tiny epaulettes is a massive faff and undermines the simplicity of the project anyway.
Just paint the buggers on.

Postby MartinR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:07 am

Yes, just slap some paint on, they are toy soldiers after all.

I've committed far worse crimes with my 54mm FPW Armies (most of the gunners are carved up Napoleonic figures).
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
MartinR

Postby Hastati » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:24 am

Sending them back is too much of a pain in the arse as I'm in Belgium. Fuck it, painted epaulettes it is.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.
Hastati

Postby Bronshtein » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Don't forget to put the Webley back in the drawer then. :roll:
Bronshtein

Postby Hastati » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Bronshtein wrote:Don't forget to put the Webley back in the drawer then. :roll:

Gave it to the kids to play with.
Hastati

Next

Return to Wargames Misc.