Age of Sigmar first time

News and discussion of your favourite wargames and new rules to make it completely unplayable.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Age of Sigmar first time

Postby Clayface nli » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:31 pm

I played AoS yesterday, using 20mm fantasy Goblins and Undead versus Lizardmen and Dwarves.

I would not want to play it against a cheesy bastard, or in a Tournament - but otherwise, hey it was actually perfectly fine, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Out of interest, has it a) Done very well and possibly helped save Fantasy from the GW scrapheap b) been so-so and the vultures are still circling those racks, eager to fill them with 'Space Marine with Jump-pack' or c) been a catastrophic failure and sometime soon the Old World will not just be History - it will be gone?
Clayface nli

Re: Age of Sigmar first time

Postby Norton C Wongpower » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:38 am

I'm sure it's a fun game but...well, they destroyed "Warhammer". I've heard mixed things, I know it sold very poorly initially but may have buoyed in popularity since. It's possibly another case of fewer hardcore fans buying more product, maybe in 5 years "Sigmarines" will be an established thing.
Norton C Wongpower

Postby Condottiero » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:47 am

Did you get the General's Handbook? It has points values and unit min/max numbers in the back.
*SVM MALLEVS CVNNORVM*

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Alphonse Karr
Condottiero

Postby Passer by » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:06 am

Most people I've talked to have gone from "Holy shit this is awful" to "Well okay, maybe its not COMPLETE shit" to "Hey, this is actually pretty decent".
Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby Patrice » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:19 pm

Interesting question.

I've never played AoS; never played WH nor WH40K either – although I've often watched WH and WH40K played on nearby game tables (and I have welcomed and invited WH and WH40K players in game events when I could, no segregation there).

From an outside point of view, I was just wondering the reason why GW created AoS?

As a (rather old) wargame and RPG player I remember the time when WH races and creatures were quite close of AD&D creatures. A green-skinned Orc is a green-skinned Orc (...although AD&D Goblins have a brick red or yellow-ochre skin, that's why I've never painted green my Goblins miniatures but it's another matter).

It was the time when most players (including myself) imagined fantasy creatures as in AD&D Monster Manual.

Then Peter Jackson came and made his very good films.

Then GW made the LOTR game, to gain on the popularity of the film.

Then... what? GW now had two different medieval fantasy games, LOTR and WH, stuck in two different universes. And the AD&D universe doesn't mean much to the overall young public now, but they've seen the films and they believe in the LOTR creatures and not in the old AD&D ones.

So... what could GW do?
Patrice

Postby Passer by » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:00 pm

That and much of the "modern warhammer" look has basically been adopted by the likes of Warcraft.
Better red than dead
Passer by

Postby Clayface nli » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:47 am

Patrice wrote:
From an outside point of view, I was just wondering the reason why GW created AoS?

as a 'very' former insider I assume the sales of Warhammer figures had gone from 'very small' ('90's, when I worked there) to 'what is the point of doing this?' and they needed to do something to either kickstart it back to life, or put it out of its misery. Way back when I worked there sales of Fantasy were about 25% of those of 40k, but the majority of senior bods were still Fantasy fans. I imagine with time enough of those old farts are retired and replaced with businessmen that they can force the few remaining to face reality.

Patrice wrote:

So... what could GW do?

This, or stop it completely. So be thankful they at least tried. Hell, I have to assume they approached George Martin and co for a GoT line and got knocked back.
Clayface nli

Postby andrewbeasley » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:25 am

Clayface nli wrote:... lots taken out ...

This, or stop it completely. So be thankful they at least tried. Hell, I have to assume they approached George Martin and co for a GoT line and got knocked back.

Interesting thought "GOT and GW" as humans have been some of the best figures they have done (till silly/stupid feathers arrived).

It does seem that GRRM collects figures http://www.georgerrmartin.com/for-fans/knights/ so may have had / will have significant input to any plans for licensing ???

As for AoS - given how popular it seems in the three GW shops I've visited in the last few months it seems to have worked for them. As long as folk are enjoying the game - does the change matter? No one is going to force you to change as long as you can find an opponent or are happy to play solo.
andrewbeasley

Return to Wargames Misc.