Moderator: FU!UK Committee
A Chaotic Humphrey wrote:Done!
Here’s an overview picture
And here’s some ‘mood’ shots.
It is unknown when the castle was actually built. It is not recorded in the Domesday Book but is mentioned in the Gesta Stephani as ‘a stone tower with stockade’. It is thought it was built sometime in the 1120s/30s.
Here it is pictured in 1138. The local lord (who sided with the King) is having some kind of altercation with the parish priest.
Here we see the castle again, some 130 years later. Nothing changes. Those barrels still need to be moved inside the castle, and the Lord of the manor is still having disagreements with the priest (who seems to have received a bit of a promotion).
In the following picture there is something of note to architectural historians. You will notice the east wall (to the left in this picture) is constructed from a different course of stone. During the reign of King John the castle had been besieged and siege engines brought to bear upon it. The upper floor of the east wall was reduced to rubble. The lower floor had been substantially weakened and had to be dismantled before being rebuilt, but in a different render.
Shortly after the scenes depicted above the castle fell into ruin. The owner had backed the rebels led by De Montfort and for this, and due to the fact that there was no heir, the castle became Crown property. Within just two generations the tower had been taken down to use in local building projects. To this day one can still find examples of the tower’s stone mouldings and tracery in the parish church and an associated tithe barn, but nothing remains of the tower itself.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests