Every Man Jack

Here you can discuss anything froth related that does not fit into another forum, or indeed any nonsense that should enter your head.

Moderator: FU!UK Committee

Re: Every Man Jack

Postby John the Cutter » Tue May 21, 2019 1:39 am

Though never gaining the notoriety of my cousin, I was an excellent butcher, slicing and trimming the finest cuts for high class families and posh establishments. I think there are so many because he is not only universally known, and the ultimate bogeyman before John Wick came on to the scene but the minis are also useful for any number of stereotypical Victorian or Pulp, or Horror villain types.

How many different versions of Dracula do you have vs how many do you need? I offer that the JtR figs are much more useful than yet another Bela Lugosi want to be in his formal attire.
John the Cutter

Postby Australian Dawn NLI » Tue May 21, 2019 8:30 am

I suppose it's his real world killer status VS. the stereotypical fictional monster he seems to have become in the popular imagination that's thrown me.
And that I don't find the figures particularly useful, kitchen knives may do for sex killers but there are only so many I can reasonably put in a faction that I intend to field against anything more lethal that unarmed ladies of the evening.
He's usually too well dressed to be just a thug with improvised weapons, and too shoddily armed and generally lacking in panache to be a criminal mastermind.
Dracula can be any stylish bloodsucker but Jack the Ripper is what he is. More than a couple in a group seems innately silly to me, maybe if reimagined as a gang of anarchists or something, but are kitchen knives really the best weapons they could find? I could do a weapons swap but how to explain the preference for doctors bags and top hats?
Fielding one of him is reasonable, two would seem odd, the amount implied by the number of figures available would seem inexplicable and ludicrous to me, YMMV.

Meanwhile what about all the other neglected villains of Victorian fiction? I can't think of a single Svengali figure even, (maybe I've missed it?) surely an influential enough character to deserve a miniature? The movie should supply more than enough visual reference and inspiration to artists, but the vague outline of a top hat wearing knife wielder with a medical bad seems uppermost in sculptors minds when they think Victorian villainy. :(
Australian Dawn NLI

Postby Voice From Limbo » Tue May 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Speaking of which, Fantomas wouldn't be difficult:
While offering scope for almost as many different figures as Holmes:

https://youtu.be/t_ganIOM05s

And on the "good" side of early Froggies, there's Judex -- although this version might pose problems:
Reproducing this scenario would make for an interesting conversion project:

https://youtu.be/_HM_hN6uDvk

These are admittedly sliding over from "Victorian" into "Pulp" -- but the line between them strikes me as a rather fuzzy one. YMMV.
Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn NLI » Tue May 21, 2019 2:52 pm

Voice From Limbo wrote:Speaking of which, Fantomas wouldn't be difficult:

I understand arguments over rules interpretation can get heated but coming at you with a knife over the top of the game table like that... Good god, he could step on the miniatures! :shock:
Australian Dawn NLI

Postby Voice From Limbo » Tue May 21, 2019 4:49 pm

It's the sort of occurrence that might be likely, if you insist on formal attire at your games. :D
Voice From Limbo

Postby Bronshtein » Tue May 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Insist?
A gentleman would instinctively know the correct dress code.
Bronshtein

Postby Voice From Limbo » Wed May 22, 2019 1:18 am

Right you are, old chum.

I'd think white tie and tails a bit much, though. :(

Voice From Limbo

Postby Australian Dawn NLI » Thu May 23, 2019 8:54 am

Voice From Limbo wrote:These are admittedly sliding over from "Victorian" into "Pulp" -- but the line between them strikes me as a rather fuzzy one. YMMV.

I agree, the line is fuzzy indeed, in fact after reading this I double checked some pulp ranges and it seems to me that a lot of pulp figures would be easier to convert to Victorian characters than it would be to try and shave off ridiculously over the top facial hair and replace sky scraping stove pipe hats and robotic limbs on the closest Victorian alternatives!
When sculptors think Victorian and fictional they seem to lose all sense of restraint or proportion. I don't mind VSF and steampunk with all the over the top silliness in some cases, but the real heroes and villains need to have a bit of style I think.
With Pulp sculptors seem to realise this but with Victoriana they often can't seem to resist going right OTT.
Australian Dawn NLI

Postby Voice From Limbo » Thu May 23, 2019 2:09 pm

robotic limbs

That does seem to be a bit of an obsession, doesn't it? Almost a fetish.

Repressed vivisectionists?
Voice From Limbo

Postby Guest » Thu May 23, 2019 5:26 pm

[quote="Voice From Limbo"]Right you are, old chum.
Ah, memories.
We were playtesting GDW’s Drang noch Osten. Good times.

PreviousNext

Return to The Froth Pot